PSI of 2 on filter gauge, help

Jun 7, 2008
Maryland
I opened the pool yesterday and right off the bat the filter gauge is only registering 2.
I have good pull in both skimmers and no problems with returns, they are moving the surface as usual.

So I was thinking the guage is bad and took the one of my neighbors, I get the exact same reading.

So I am thinking filters got fiflthy from opening cycle, but it was a 2 the instant I opened it. Anyway I spend an hour washing the filters, kick them back on and same 2.

My other thought is my water has not turned over, it is still cloudy with dirt on the bottom.
I am set to manuel vac tomorrow if I can see the bottom.

Maybe the bottom drains are clogged?

Water numbers are fine, hoping to turn over tonight, I held FC overnight and maintain 2ppm all day, ph is at 7.5, cya is 35.

Pool is a 55,000 gallon inground gunite.
Pentair CC Cartridge Filter
420 Sq Ft
Filters are 12 months old.

Any comments welcome

It sounds like you have a suction-side restriction. 2 psi is probably too low for almost any system so I suspect the flow into the pump is being restricted. Check the valves, check valves, skimmers, etc. anything in front of the pump.

I've also had low pressure when something gets past the pump strainer basket and gets stuck in the impeller of the pump. When that happens I have to remove the large band clamp that holds the pump to the housing and clean out the leaves, twigs, etc. that are clogging it. It only takes a VERY small amount of material to really mess up the flow in the pump. Be sure that the power is OFF before you go sticking your fingers inside of there... :shock:

What is puzzling to me is that the returns are apparently operating normally :scratch: In this case 1+1 doesn't = 2. If the suction or impeller are clogged and the psi is 2 the water should barely be trickling back to the pool, not coming in as per usual!

Well I took apart the pump today and removed just one tall piece of ornamental grass.

Nothing else seemed to be in the way, I rechecked the filters, they look great, and checked the check valve right before the pump basket.

When I turn the check valve off it leaks, but it did this last year as well when my pressure was normally 12ish.

I might replace this part anyways but its not a priority unless you guys feel different.

I have some questions about skimmer baskets but I will start a new thread as this might be helpful for other beginners.

Any additional comments welcome,

Another note when I put my hand, rather fist since its scares me the suction is very strong.
I did my manuel vac today as well with no problems, and even walked over to my neighbors pool to recheck my gauge hooking it up to his pump and getting a 14 reading.

Any thoughts?

I had the same problem this morning with my filter gauge reading 2. The flow was very low though. I didn't have time to mess with it so I turned the filter off (wasn't sure if running at 2 all day would hurt the pump but I wasn't taking chances). Besides - cleaning up algae weould be cheaper than buying a new pump. This evening I got home and discovered a little clear plastic cup had somehow gotten sucked down into one of the skimmers - underneath the basket and conveniently sealed it perfectly. Of course my two kids had no idea how that could have happened :roll:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.