Dual Speed Pump Wiring and performance

pmb

Aug 12, 2013
I'm replacing my 1 HP pool pump motor and want to use a dual speed motor to save on energy costs. We pay about $.23 per kwH and run it for 8-10 hours per day. Its a smallish pool 17,000 gallons using a Sta-Rite Max-e-pro pump with their energy efficient motor - 1hp/sf=1.65/16 or 8amps. We are running it with 220v. We also run a polaris 380 off of a 3/4 hp booster for 2 hrs per day -- also 220v. The timing is controlled by 2 separate intermatic 104 manual timers. They're wired together but I think its just to get power from the first to the second one. I could, for example, run the booster pump without running the main pump. I don't but the only thing preventing this from happening is manually synchronizing the clocks.

I'm looking at the AO Smith SQS1102R 2 speed motor and wanted to know how to wire it. Will I need another timer or can I use the booster pump timer to run both the high speed setting and the polaris. I figure they run the same amount of time per day so I'd prefer not to buy another timer.

Thanks in advance.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

There are 2 options: 1. Have a timer select when to switch speeds. 2. Have a switch that is uses to manual switch speeds when you need it.

The second is simplier and the booster can run with the main pump on low. Usually a T106 is used to automatically switch speeds because you need a SPDT and the T104 is a DPST.

So, you could leave your timers as-is and just add a switch between the timer and the pump. Or provide more details / pictures of the current setup if you want to change the way things are currently working.

You can not use the timers you have for low and high speed if that is what you are thinking ... if you send power to low and high at the same time you will burn up the new motor.

You can certainly power the booster off the same timer as the pool pump (although this would put them on the same circuit breaker which is not really a good idea).

I do not think you yet understand how the 2-speed motors are wired. Try searching the forum as there a many discussions about this including many diagrams.

I now see what you are saying, having read the topics you suggested. I have also looked at a motor with an integrated timer...AO SMith 2Green version...only concern is that my pump is a 48Y frame and this has a 56Y frame. I have read that the difference is in the motors diameter -- its 1/2" bogger on the 56Y. Since the pump motor sits in a stand, I may be able to fit the larger 56Y into it if I remove a strip of material that sits in a notch inthe stand. This strip is called a motor pad on the parts diagram. Do you have any experience with using a 56Y to replace a 48Y...same HP so no need for impeller changes.

Some motor stands have the spacer to hold the smaller motor that can be removed to allow for the larger motor. I am not 100% if that "motor pad" you mention is for that purpose or not.

If you got the motor with the built-in time, I am not sure how you would ensure that the booster does not turn on with out the main motor being on. You might need a curent sensing relay on the main motor to turn on power to be sent to the booster.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.