intex 2650 sand filter running while people in pool

Since the Intex pumps and pools aren't bonded and they're not double insulated, they aren't supposed to be powered on when anyone is in the pool. I'm sure there lots of people that do it, so you'll have to decide for yourself if you want to accept the risk.

thank you bama.

as a follow up question, what does it mean when a pump is UL listed? the sand filter has a sticker that says it is, but the cartridge one that came with the pool does not.

It means that the Underwriters Laboratories have thoroughly tested a production sample and found it meets all applicable safety requirements.

However, it is no longer uncommon for a company to do a short production run just for UL, to get the certification, then cut a few corners on the sales production runs.

Beware, there are a few asian manufacturers that have used what LOOKS like a UL/CE label, but on close inspection, it is not quite the same. These products may or may not have been tested.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It says right on the side of the pool, to not have the pump running when people are in the pool. Some people may choose to ignore safety labels. It also says not to jump into the pool and that the ground must be level.
I think that the not running the filter issue is so that a persons hair wont get stuck in the filter intake. I don't think that it could actually happen.

We just leave the pump running. I have it plugtged into a gfi plug as well. They only list that on the manual as a statement of limited liability, thats about it. Just a warning the lawyers need to see on such a product. Same with the level, no jumping, etc.

we have it running all the time when people are in pool, especially when kids want to play in waterfall fountain. there is no risk of shock. the pump isnt in the pool, its outside it. and its on a GCFI, and its only 110v at 5 amps anyway. it wouldnt have enough current to go through 6400 gallons of water to shock anyone. GCFI would trip it the second it tried anyway. im all about safety, but intex is just being overly cautious on this one, probably due to the suction hazard more than any shock hazard.

i will say this, i have the hayward skimmer, i also retained the original inlet as well, and both are on separate ball valves. when people are in the pool, i make sure and open both valves, because it never fails, a floaty or something will get sucked into the hayward skimmer, and air will get in the line. not sure if this is bad for the pump or not, but i have to loosen the lid on the pump trap to get air out and its a PITA. with both the inlet and skimmer valves open, if skimmer gets blocked, it just increases suction to the original inlet.

now when no one is in the pool, and i want maximum skimming suction, i close the valve on original inlet and it doubles the suction to the hayward skimmer and it will pull in every grasshopper, leaf, ant, and anything else floating my pool within about 20 minutes!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.