Hello and first Question (Fence)

Jul 20, 2012
Hello, just finishing a 40ft fiberglass in central Jersey and wondering whether in general deer fencing is up to code?

We plan on doing a nice metal gate (up to code) and then the rest in deer fencing.
Just looking for opinions and comments to defend the decision with the inspector.

Thanks, Alex

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I think you are going to have to be a little more descriptive as to what you mean by deer fencing. Although, it really does not matter what we think, it is up to the inspector and the local ordinances as to what is allowed.

Welcome to TFP.

Is the fencing considered unclimbable? If it's not then it doesn't meet code in most places.

In reality, the inspector has the final say and they're the one's you should be directing this question to.

Just finished a pool and with our permit came an attached paper going over specific codes for gates and fencing for the homeowner. Like it has been said already the fence has to be non-climbable on the other side. The inspector also made a comment on my wood fence as he pushed and pulled on it and said I should shore it up with an additional vertical support but that he wouldn't not sign me off on it. I believe the fence has to be a minimum of 5 feet but this can vary depending on the area. Call your city and ask for the permit department then you should be able to get a hold of a city inspector that can go over the basics on the phone with you.

Where I had the most restrictions was on my gate access: must swing out, must be self closing, latch must be lockable and 54" from ground, cannot have more than 2" opening from grade to bottom part of gate... I was looking for the part where it needed to be able to stop a bullet but could not find that requirement....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.