Pressure Building! And I don't mean David Bowie

RSAnative

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
May 26, 2013
Baltimore, MD
So I've recently noticed the pressure on my DE filter has been climbing too quickly. Once I backwash and add new DE it will typically stay at 10psi for a couple of weeks before creeping up. However lately I've noticed it getting to 15 within days of me adding new DE. Could I have a problem with the filers? Is it time to take apart the DE and clean them or is there something else I might be doing.

Thanks!

Lots of questions:
What type of DE filter do you have ? Fingers or Grids?
After a backwash, are you adding a 100% charge or 80% charge?
When was the last time you did a full tear down and clean? I find when my filter is dirty, the pressures will rise faster if the fabric is dirty even with a fresh charge.

It's old. I'm not sure how old but old. I might look to take it apart. I'm hoping that's not too complicated. We are almost at the end of the season too so maybe I'll just price out a new one. I'll take a picture when I get home and post it.

Do you have the model number?

If its a Hayward, most of them have a belly band or a series of bolts in the circle around the head.

They are very durable filters and all it may need is a good cleaning. Mine is a 9/16 bolt and I use a ratchet. I remove the bolt and springs and the band comes off. I thump the band with my screwdriver handle if its stubborn.

IMG_5294.JPG

Then I wash it with a garden hose.

IMG_5299-MOTION.gif

I use "filter cleaner spray" from HomeDepot if the filter media (fabric) is not nearly white in color after I rinse off the DE. I also use a strong stream spray to wash off the "zebra stripes"... that will make sense if you have one of these filters.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you need help let me know. Basically you need to take the nuts and bolts off the head (get a cup for all the little parts and a ratchet wrench). The head will come off with the fingers as one heavy, DE laden mess (dreads?). I take mine over to a grassy area and rinse firmly with the garden hose. Since this is you first time, it would wash off the DE, then spray it with the filter cleaner, wait 10 minutes and spray until its clean. I think I have a thread with photos that shows all this.

How often do you bump the filter?
How many days does it take to go from 10 to 18 psi?
How much time is left in you r swim season?

I would guess it will take you an hour or so the first time you clean it. I think it takes me about 30 minutes to clean mine but I have done it several times. Mine is slightly smaller but it only really effects the number of fingers and I have the belly clamp and you have bolts. Using the correct tools, ratchet and nut driver and possibly a cordless drill with the correct bit, would speed your process immensely.

I take the base section off the pump, let the base section settle, pour off the clear water and then dump the DE slurry in my green waste garbage can. I am strong enough to carry the base full of water and DE.

I've been bumping the filter a couple times a weekl now. Before maybe once every two weeks or so.
I say it less then a week to get that high.
I think I'm closing September 8-9 depending on the pool company. I'm not up to doing this by myself yet.

RSAnative said:
Here's my baby:
xD2rk8q.jpg

Model: EC-65

Mine looks just like yours. My procedure is a little different but basically the same. I do this when the pressure won't stay down.

First turn off the pump. My off switch is right next to the filter. Close the return valve where the water leaves the top of the filter and goes to the pool. Open the waste valve at the bottom of the filter. That way I can run the filter and divert the water to waste without getting it in the pool. The filter is in the middle of some landscaping and the plants and grass don't seem to mind. I run the pump for minute or so while I bump the handle to purge the DE from the fingers. When the water runs clear I turn the pump off and close the waste valve. OPEN THE RETURN VALVE. Put some fresh DE in the skimmer to start (1/2 charge) and turn the pump on. Make sure the water is running into the pool. Make sure the DE is pulled into the filter. Go add the rest of the DE to the skimmer. Watch for leaks and call it a day. Takes 20 minutes tops.

If the pressure goes up right away with a fresh charge the fingers need cleaned. Start with the above and purge the filter of the old DE. Take a cordless drill and the correct socket and remove the bolts from the top. BRING SOMETHING TO PUT IT ALL IN. Pull the pin that connects the handle to the push rod. Not the hinge pin but the connecting pin in the middle of the handle. Disconnect the union to your plumbing and pull the top off the unit.

Take the fingers someplace where it is easy to work and hose them off. Get all the DE off. I have hard water so I take a couple of extra steps at this point. First I put degreaser in a five gallon bucket and soak the fingers for 15 minutes or so. I get degreaser from the pool store and mix it according to the directions. After they are done soaking I hose everything off. The next step is to mix 1 gallon of MA and 4 gallons of water in a five gallon bucket. I put the finger assembly in the bucket and let it soak over night. The next morning I hose the assembly off. The acid mix will kill the grass or etch concrete so be careful disposing of it. I have a gravel driveway so I just dilute it further and pour it out.

The acid wash is optional but I found that I was changing the DE too often. The filter manual suggested the acid wash if you were changing DE too often.

Put everything back together. DON'T FORGET TO ADD DE. DON'T FORGET TO OPEN THE RETURN VALVE. MAKE SURE THE WATER IS GOING INTO THE POOL AND YOU SHUT THE WASTE VALVE.

Trust me, you don't want to know why I put some of this in upper case.

Any thoughts from the experts on this process would be appreciated.

IMHO, you are near the end of the life of the charge. I would say if you just changed your DE, you need to clean the fingers. Since you have 3 weeks left before they close, I would just keep bumping daily for the season. When they close the pool, do a full clean. They can do it for you if you don't mind the cost. I could clean it then store it for the winter.

I have never done this as I just leave my equipment in place as i don't normal freeze. I only get low temps in the 20's for less than a week and it normally heats up during the day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.