I always have to add CaCl - any ideas?

AaronGo

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 8, 2011
Houston, Texas
I tested my CH level last weekend (among other levels) and it was ~130 so I added some CaCl and re-tested yday and it was ~170. So I added more CaCl to get the level between 200 and 300. I will re-test in a few days to see where CH is. But ever since we began using the pool in July 2012 I find myself always having to add CaCl, which as I understand it is not normal. I would think after awhile the CH level would stabilize and I wouldn't need to continually add CaCl.

Are there any ideas as to why I can't maintain CH above 200 consistently? It's a "standard" plaster pool, per my signature.

I wouldn't think I have a leak since the pool is just over a year old but it's not impossible. Being in Houston with our 100 degree days we can get quite a bit of evaporation (esp since I have no shade except for the house).

Besides paying someone to perform a leak test, how can I determine if I have a leak? I assume I can turn off the fill water line for a day or two (we have an auto filler), estimate water loss and see if it's consistent with normal loss from evaporation? Our water bills are not outrageous or anything so there are no red flags from that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The bucket test would be a good idea.

How are you testing? Pool store tests are notoriously unreliable...we strongly recommend doing your testing yourself with a good drop-based kit.

Unless you have a leak or a gigantic amount of splash-out, CH will never go down, only up. It stays in the pool when the water evaporates.

Calcium stays with the water, doesn't evaporate. My guess is you have a leak especially since you have an auto fill. Turn off the filler and do a bucket test, that will confirm if you're losing water to a leak and not just evaporation. Might want to do it ASAP to get any repairs covered under warranty.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.