New Pool Owner in Need of Help - High CYA!!!

Jul 11, 2013
Wichita, KS
So we had our pool installed in early July. I sure wish I would done more research prior to this. The pool installer put a Pentair Rainbow 320 inline chlorinator using 3 inch trichlor pucks. My CYA level was zero when we began to swim, so the pool store sold me some conditioner which raised it to 50. Well, I have been burning through pucks (6 pucks about every 4 or 5 days) and my chlorine level has been around 8 regardless of where I put the setting on the chlorinator. So I turned the chlorinator off (per their advice) for two days. I just had my water tested by the pool store this morning:

TC 4.0
FC 4.0
PH 7.2 (just added two pounds of PH up)
Phosphates 200
TA 140
CYA 100 (I know, I know...now)

So, after reading a lot on here, the reason my CYA has gone up is (obviously adding the conditioner) and using trichlor tabs. I am done with those. Once the last little bit dissolves in the chlorinator, I am turning it off for good.

So here is my question and keeping this in mind (hopefully back washing and vacuuming to waste and general water displacement due to splash out will keep my CYA at 100 or reduce it slightly and we will be draining about half of the pool in the spring so the pool builder can fix a liner issue):

Using the bleach method: Is this best route? And if so, typically how much should I be adding on a daily basis/weekly basis?

If I strictly use household bleach for chlorine, is there anything else I should keep on hand (other than PH up or PH down)?

Keeping your CYA @ 100 will mean our guidelines for FC levels are 7-12 ppm....never below 7 ppm.

If your water management slips and you get an algae bloom, SLAM level for 100 CYA is 40 ppm.

So, if you manage FC CAREFULLY, you are good to go.

You will require nothing extra.....chlorine replacing the tabs is the only change you need to make.

Thanks. I do have a problem in that my regular test kit (with the drops) only goes to 3 for the FC. I do have some strips that can get me by for a bit, as they go higher, but those just plain suck. I noticed your website in your signature.

Which test kit do you recommend: The Taylor Kit or the other one comparable (TF-100?)? How high of chlorine level can those kits test?

Also, is there some kind of chart that shows me (based on my CYA and size of pool) the amount of the liquid bleach that I need to add? Do I add it daily, every few days, or every week? I know that will be based on testing the chlorine, but trying to get a general idea so I know how much to buy.

When I slam my pool, should I use bleach to slam or use the granules that I already have?

Sorry for all of the questions!!

The TF-100 has more of the reagents you will need, and so is a better value. They both work equally well, though. They can measure up to at least 50 ppm of chlorine. For how much bleach to add, use The Pool Calculator. SLAM is a process, which you only need to go through if you know you have algae. Don't use any granules, because they will most likely raise your CYA.

To get to know your pool, you should test the chlorine and pH and add the necessary chemicals daily. The other tests in the kit you will be want to test weekly or monthly.

Some people add liquid chlorine daily, while others bump it up a little high and add every other day or so. A lot depends on the weather and use the pool gets.

I highly suggest getting the TF-100 as it contains more of the reagents that get used more often, see my signature for the link to the test kit. I highly recommend getting a speed stir if you can afford it, as it makes testing easier and faster. These are some of the best investments you can make for your pool.

The Cal-Hypo will raise the calcium level in the pool and will not raise the CYA.

Just ordered both from that website (TF-100 and magnetic stirrer). I will probably go ahead and use op the "shock" I currently have. After it runs out, I'll just use bleach to slam my pool. Now I just need to go buy the bleach in bulk somewhere, maybe Sam's club. I could have bought it for 99 cents a bottle here recently at a local grocery store.

Thanks everyone for all of the input!!!!

duraleigh said:
I will probably go ahead and use op the "shock" I currently have
I would suggest not doing that if it contains CYA...you have too much already.

It keeps forever and you can use it next year when your CYA is down to a manageable level.

The only "shock" I have is the Cal-Hypo (68%) variety. It doesn't contain any trichlor or dichlor, from what I can tell. Should I not even use that?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After shocking my pool, my FC finally dropped to 2.0 yesterday. I added exactly 3 96 oz. jugs of 6 percent bleach to raise it to 8 (per the pool calculator). I tested my water this morning and my FC was 8.0. How perfect is that!!!!!!!

On another note, the pool store previously tested my CYA as 100. I've tested it 3 times on 3 different days and get 60 each time (using my new kit you all recommended). Am I doing it wrong or is the pool store just that jacked up?

1. Do not trust pool store testing ... especially for CYA. Do it yourself in the correct light, which is outside with back to sun and the tube at your waist.

2. Did you follow the SLAM process or just elevate the FC once? Is your water crystal clear and CC < 0.5ppm?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.