Waxahachie, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
When it is necessary to use MA to clean parts to a SWG, or tile, are there any precautionary recommendations? Besides rubber gloves, a plastic bucket and don't stand downwind.. is there anything else? Should I be on grass or concrete?

Thanks.

Not concrete. MA will etch concrete quickly and permanently if you spill.

MA spilled in the grass may kill a bit of grass but quickly becomes inert so no real long term harm.

If you could get a large piece of scrap plywood to put down that might work best.

Old, old precaution....put the water in the bucket first, then the MA.

When I deal with it, I always like to have a VERY quick source of water to quickly dilute it if I get it on something that it will harm. like my dainty skin!! :mrgreen:

I suppose wearing some eye protection is reasonable.
I've never used it on my SWG so not sure what the task entails but admittedly I've not used eye protection when I've needed to pour some of it into a bucket of water to pour into my pool. I hold my breath and am nervous just opening the cap. I think next time I'll just toss on some snorkel goggles while pouring it. I've seen what a small splashed drop does to cement-hate to imagine that in my eyes!

Good suggestions.. I just read where the plates in my SWG might need soaking in MA.. And I do have some slight (I'm guessing calcium) buildup in the grout at the waterline in the pool. I don't suppose I could be in the water while scrubbing the grout lines. :shock: THAT would be too easy.

Can I use a sponge with MA?

Last night I was catching up on a TV Show called "Breaking Bad." I saw where these guys disintegrated a motorcycle in a barrel of acid (and other things..) Which... was an eye opener for me. :shock: Like you Yippy, I hate just taking the lid off.

Damage to the eyes is the main threat to your person. On the skin, even at 32% strength, doesn't really burn unless it comes into contact with an open sore or something. I've gotten a drop or two on my skin many times. I'll just set the container down, walk over to a water source, and rinse it off.

I've gotten drops on my hands before and it started feeling hot but wasn't crazy pain like I expected. I just dunked my hand in the pool water. First time I used it, I got a few drops on my travertine and it sizzled like bacon! It really freaks me out to use it but I go in the grass and measure it into my cup with sunglasses on while I hold my breath. I hate handling acid!

duraleigh said:
Not concrete. MA will etch concrete quickly and permanently if you spill.

MA spilled in the grass may kill a bit of grass but quickly becomes inert so no real long term harm.

If you could get a large piece of scrap plywood to put down that might work best.

Old, old precaution....put the water in the bucket first, then the MA.

When I deal with it, I always like to have a VERY quick source of water to quickly dilute it if I get it on something that it will harm. like my dainty skin!! :mrgreen:
:goodjob: x2

I won't handle it without eye protection. Once you have an eye injury, you'll never do anything remotely risky without it. I scratched my cornea, not an accident with acid but something else (pulling weeds of all things). Ever since I'm religious about eye protection. It will put a scare on you right quick when you realize you almost lost vision.

But my point remains - protect your eyes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.