Looking for reasonalbly price effective general algecide

Apr 28, 2008
Have a spot here and there of a yellow/brownish what I believe is an algae. It brushes off and a chemical that was rather expensive seems to have an effect but I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a reasonably priced general use algaecide chemical I can use in an underground plaster pool? Had to sit a puck in a sock on top of one today per Waterbear's post and thank you for that. Got rid of it. ALSO can someone tell me if the thing I see mentioned as a chlorine stick, 6% Chlorine and nothing else in a stick form that you can put into an auto dispenser like for pucks? Thanks to all...

Thomsa

Re: LOOKING FOR REASONALBLY PRICE EFFECTIVE GENERAL ALGECIDE

tfnyla7713 said:
HAVE a spot here and there of a yellow/brownish what I believe is an algae. It brushes off and a chemical that was rather expensive seems to have an effect but I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a reasonably priced general use algaecide chemical I can use in an underground plaster pool?
Yes, it's called chlorine! :wink: Please post a full set of test resuls and we can take it from there.

I haven't seen a hint of algae in my pool since I BBB'd it. The borates seem to do an awesome job of keeping algae at bay. Even the black algae that seemed to always have a hold on at least a few spots in the pool is now GONE. 8)

Waterbear,

I think I have determined a part of the problem.

18,560 underground plaster pool.
Hayward DE filter
FC 3.5
TC 3.5
PH 7.6
T/A 100
CH (waiting to order refills so I could not do this test)
CYA 70

I have been trying to keep the FC between 3.5-5.0 and now discover, looking at the CYA chart that with a CYA of 70, I should be targeted at 8.0 with a minimum of 5.1. I have just added proper chlorine to bring it up to 8.0 (Pool Calculator) and will measure it at the end of the day to see how much this So Cal sun - that hits it directly from 11:00 am till 5PM - burns off. I will see how this goes and determine if I need to drain water once I get a refill from TF. Please let me know if this all makes sense and if there is something else you or anyone might think is another approach. I would like to bring PH down a bit but want to wait till I get refills and can do a complete test. Again unless you have something to suggest. Thanks again as always for your help and time. I used your puck on the stain idea the other day and it worked like a charm.

And thanks to everyone else who responded to this post.

Best,

Thomas

Bingo, sounds like you got it under control now! Why do you want to bring the pH down? 7.6 is about as perfect as you can get! If you are going be using bleach you might want to consider dropping your TA a bit though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.