first slam

jodyliebing

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2012
Auburn Indiana
getting ready for my first SLAM. I believe I have a pretty good idea on the process but I would appreciate any tips or comments that might help. Here are my pool readings using the TF 100 test kit.
chlorine-6
CC-1
TA-200
PH-7.5
CYA-60
CH-300

First, familiarize yourself with the Chlorine CYA Chart which will give you the target FC SLAM level (24 ppm) for your CYA of 60.

Is there any way you can come home for lunch to test/dose FC? That would be best. If not, then I would consider getting up a little earlier than normal and test/dose FC followed by another round of FC testing/dosing as late as possible before leaving for work, assuming the time between these is at least one hour. Then, focus the remainder of your testing and FC dosing in the evening. I would test/dose as soon as you get home and then again before you go to bed.

Bo and I are basically saying thet same thing, I just got beat to it. :)

Sometimes life gets in the way, but you have to do the best you can. Do you have any type of automatic chlorinating system?

Assuming you don't and since you're gone during the day, I'd raise the FC to shock level right before you leave for work and then test and raise it back as soon as you can and then every hour until bed time. That's not ideal, but we have to do what we have to do. It make a day or so longer than it normally would, but it will work.

sounds good. I used the pool calculator and got 18 for the shock level, am I missing something? I am hoping that it will be a fairly short process. There is no signs of any visible algae in the pool. Actually it looks better using BBB than it ever has with the exeption of using too much chlorine you wouldnt suspect a problem but I know there is. I do have a chlorine generater but I have not been using it .

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, the midday dose would only added to help the chlorine level a little bit while you can't tend it. You're levels will drop quickly early in the slam process. Wait til day 2 of your SLAM, and depending on loss from day 1 you should be able to make a guess as to what would be a safe amount to add. Any at all is good!

GreatCanadian said:
Well, the midday dose would only added to help the chlorine level a little bit while you can't tend it. You're levels will drop quickly early in the slam process. Wait til day 2 of your SLAM, and depending on loss from day 1 you should be able to make a guess as to what would be a safe amount to add. Any at all is good![Thanks so much!!]

I started my SLAM last night unfortunately I tested again right before and my CYA levels are 80 instead of 60. (Done it outside). SO here was my test results when I started
CYA 80
PH 7.5
TA 200
CH 300
FC 1
CC 1
Also the pool has no visible signs of algae and is clear. I added 6 gallons of 10% bleach at 6:15 tested at 7:45 and got a FC of 38 ( a bit high for shock should have been 31) and a CC of 2. This morning I tested at 5:48 am and had FC of 14 and CC of 1.Added 2 gallons of bleach have not tested yet waiting 1 hour. I fell below shock level overnight, does this mean I have to start over? Also as I stated earlier in my post I do work and it may be a problem to add or test every 2 hours. One question I have is I just want to make sure that I am not damaging my pool or equipment by adding so much bleach. I feel that I should actually go a bit above my shock level so that it doesnt fall below when Im gone. Is this not a good idea? Does it seem like I am on the right track here??? Sure would appreciate any help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.