Will a PENTAIR IntelliFlo XF pay for itself in 8 months?

tx9519

Jul 21, 2013
Hello fellow swimming pools enthusiasts!

Builder's current quote had PENTAIR 2 HP Whisperflo but recommended upgrading to 3 HP PENTAIR IntelliFlo XF mentioning it would pay for itself in 8 months from lower energy consumption. Pool design is approx 16K gal and comes with 7' round spa. Current quote also includes 2" schedule PVC piping.

Would appreciate comments from actual owners of this pump or experts present on the forum.

Thanks in advance.

What is your electric rate in kWh?

The PB's reference point is very likely the cost differential between the PENTAIR 2 HP Whisperflo and the 3 HP PENTAIR IntelliFlo XF since you will be getting one or the other. But, before you make a decision, I would look into a 2-speed pump. These days, they do not cost much more than a single-speed. 2-speeds offer significant energy savings as well. As to whether the 2-speed or variable speed makes more sense in your situation still depends on your electric rate.

BTW, a 2 HP pump seems a bit much for a 16K gallon pool. Do you have a lot of water features planned? I have a 1.5 HP pump on a 23K gallon pool with spa and it does everything I need it to do.

Our rate is 10.2 cents/KWh. Isn't the IntelliFlo XF variable speed for 0 to 3HP?

Thanks for the info on the 2 HP Whsiperflo, I will check this one further. We have two 2' wall port fountains and two tanning ledge bubblers.

With electric rates around 10 cents the IntelliFlo is unlikely to ever payback the additional up front investment. When electric rates are higher, say 20 cents or more, the IntelliFlo becomes a much better value. A two speed pump run on low speed most of the time (generally when not using the spa) will payback relatively quickly and is almost always a better choice than a single speed.

BoDarville, with a spa you often need a fairly large pump to get the desired jet action in the spa.

Yes, the IntelliFlo XF is variable from a little above 0 HP to 3 HP.

2" is OK, bigger is better, especially on the suction aide. Aren't the inlet/outlet on the intelliflo 2.5"? I certainly wouldn't want smaller than that. The price difference to get the bigger pipe is miniscule, so why not?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.