Suggestions wanted - screening a pool from the street

Jul 22, 2013
Baltimore, MD
The most likely location for our pool will be closer to the house than the street, but I would love any suggestions on how to screen a pool (and the pool fence).

I'm thinking plants, shrubs, etc., but I would also like to think out of the box about this too. It will be on a hill, so that might help.

Thanks,
Elsa

cypress trees can be a great natural privacy fence particularly when buying the tallest ones you can afford and letting them take off. They come in a variety of shapes and widths (tall and narrow vs wide and fat) and don't lose their foliage.

I am not sure about your climate, but a few months ago I saw a very impressive privacy screen behind a pool made from a zig-zag arched line of sky pencil holly (spaced about 3-4 ft apart). The trees were probably 10 years old (guess as the house was built in the mid 1990's, and pool was added later), the trees stood about 20-25 feet tall and provided a wispy bush cover from the ground level up.

Those are all interesting choices. My only concern about Leyland Cypress is I've heard they can blow over in the wind. Not that we get too many strong winds in Baltimore, but we've had our fair share of trees get knocked down in hurricanes.

I'll have to check tomorrow for more on Arborvitae and Thuja - which I think are the same. It looks like they are deer resistant, which is good, and it looks like the Green Giant variety might be wind resistant too.

I haven't heard of that type of holly, I'll definitely have to look that up and see if it can grow here.

Thanks for the great suggestions so far! I'll post a picture or two tomorrow.

Elsa

OK, I'm going to try to attach these pictures. It's hard to show context, but the pool would be about 80 feet from the street, with the outdoor fireplace (which, like everything else, needs work!) being on at the end of the patio.

Between the deer, the heat, and the weird rain we've been having this summer - don't judge us on our unusual landscaping techniques ;) Also, you can see we are going to make a tree company very happy.

I'll try to finish up a basic graph paper outline we're doing, because the pictures might be too confusing.

Thanks for all the help so far!!
Elsa

Attachments

• SG-Yard-1.jpg
    SG-Yard-1.jpg
    498.6 KB · Views: 71
  • SG-Yard-2.jpg
    SG-Yard-2.jpg
    494.1 KB · Views: 70
  • SG-Yard-4.jpg
    SG-Yard-4.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 70

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.