Hayward skimmer mod

hyperionguy

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 2, 2012
Houston, TX
I discovered that there is no 'stop' on the thru the wall skimmer like there is on an in-ground skimmer. So when the pump turns off, the weir can flop in/out of the opening, letting previously trapped stuff float back into the pool.

So I created my own stop. I used a window sash lock screwed into the face plate. It will turn in order to swivel out of the way so I can easily remove the weir for vacuuming.

It made noise as the plastic weir whacked against the stop. So I put a felt pad on the door. Now it is silent. I doubt it will last long, so I plan to come up with another solution to the noise. we'll see how it plays out.

Attachments

• wier stop.jpg
    wier stop.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 277
CeeElGee,

The general area where the skimmer/pump needs to go is flanked by fence and neighbor's house. If I moved it towards the middle of the panel it's in, it would impede walking by that side. Same with if I moved it to the left, to the next panel. It would get in the way walking by that side.

It seems fine and doesn't put any extra stress anywhere. There's still plenty of seam left between the skimmer and where the post is.

I should have mounted it a bit lower. If I put the water where it should be (to the 2nd screw) it would be more prone to splash-out on the other side. 2nd screw is about 1/3 the way up the blue square in row 2 (from the seam). That would put water 1/2 from the seam on the other side.

I'm going to either add add'l styro to the inside-lower portion of the weir or lower the whole skimmer 1" and live with an open slot at the top of the skimmer. If supported by hard plumbing (bottom 90-degree turn near the ground with a shim under it) I don't think it'll be a structural problem. Don't know. Still thinking it through.

hyperionguy said:
I should have mounted it a bit lower. If I put the water where it should be (to the 2nd screw) it would be more prone to splash-out on the other side. 2nd screw is about 1/3 the way up the blue square in row 2 (from the seam). That would put water 1/2 from the seam on the other side.

I'm going to either add add'l styro to the inside-lower portion of the weir or lower the whole skimmer 1" and live with an open slot at the top of the skimmer. If supported by hard plumbing (bottom 90-degree turn near the ground with a shim under it) I don't think it'll be a structural problem. Don't know. Still thinking it through.

Yeah, I went way high too, but I like my water level high. Except when my brother-in-law gets too rowdy with my kids and splashes a bunch of it out! I need him right now. Another 1.62" of rain here in the past 24 hours and my pool is full. Won't even skim properly right now. Too lazy to do anything about it though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.