household bleach (6%) or pool store bleach (12%)

engrav

Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 4, 2012
Whidbey Island, WA
Was in pool store today.

12% bleach is $10 / gal. Household bleach at grocery stores is $2.50 / gal. Pool store guy said household bleach has other stuff like detergents etc and raises TDS and should not be used. Anything to this? Household bleach not as good as 12% pool store bleach?

Thank you

Regular bleach is now 8.25 % and is fine to use. Just make sure to get Regular bleach that specifies sodium hypochlorite ...8.25 % on the label. Make sure that you do not get scented, outdoor, HE, splashless or other special use bleach.

10 dollars per gallon is way high for 12 %..

I use the regular bleach and no problems. Don't use the scented or splashless, just regular bleach. Only difference I know of is the concentration percentage of chlorine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

JamesW said:
Regular bleach is now 8.25 % and is fine to use. Just make sure to get Regular bleach that specifies sodium hypochlorite ...8.25 % on the label. Make sure that you do not get scented, outdoor, HE, splashless or other special use bleach.

10 dollars per gallon is way high for 12 %..

I suspected same. Got it. Thanks.

engrav said:
Pool store guy said household bleach has other stuff like detergents etc and raises TDS and should not be used. Anything to this?
Not a (you know what) thing. Just make sure you are using plain, unscented liquid bleach without any thickeners added.

TDS is pool store BS for not knowing what they are talking about and is often used to goad you into buying chems from them. TDS by itself is a meaningless measure as it is made up of several components. One pool could have a TDS of 1,800 and another could have a TDS of 1,000. Which pool has a better water chemistry? Cannot tell from TDS.

Also, the amount of salt is the same per FC in 6% or 8.25% bleach as it is in 12% chlorinating liquid ("pool store bleach") so he isn't even right about that. For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by bleach or chlorinating liquid, it also increases salt by 8.5 ppm immediately and by another 8.5 ppm when the chlorine is used/consumed (all sources of chlorine result in the 8.5 ppm increase in salt when the chlorine is used/consumed -- bleach and chlorinating liquid add additional salt upon addition).

chem geek said:
Also, the amount of salt is the same per FC in 6% or 8.25% bleach as it is in 12% chlorinating liquid ("pool store bleach") so he isn't even right about that. For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by bleach or chlorinating liquid, it also increases salt by 8.5 ppm immediately and by another 8.5 ppm when the chlorine is used/consumed (all sources of chlorine result in the 8.5 ppm increase in salt when the chlorine is used/consumed -- bleach and chlorinating liquid add additional salt upon addition).

Ok, will keep on exploring. Maybe out here in the woods, with the pool not checked every day, tab feeder is the only practical option. Or tab feeder to keep it at baseline and then bleach or granules pulse to get it higher when being used.

You would need to be careful about the tabs and granules, as most will raise your CYA along with your FC. The exception being calcium hypochlorite, which has it's own problems.

Best to adjust your dosage of liquid chlorine upward to account for the length of time between test and dose cycles.

Do you know your CYA level?

Can you use a liquid chlorine dosing pump? Either a commercially made system, or build your own.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Charlie_R said:
You would need to be careful about the tabs and granules, as most will raise your CYA along with your FC. The exception being calcium hypochlorite, which has it's own problems.

Best to adjust your dosage of liquid chlorine upward to account for the length of time between test and dose cycles.

Do you know your CYA level?

Can you use a liquid chlorine dosing pump? Either a commercially made system, or build your own.

today FC4 TC4 pH7.8 TA90 CH260 CYA30-(or maybe less, hard to tell at that level) water is clear

would seem pulses of granules will be Ok for a time since there is lots of CYA headroom, and maybe even need a little more CYA

I think manually daily putting in liquid chlorine will not work out here, gonna have to be some compromise of the BBB plan, will explore the chlorine pump

thank you

foobert said:
Wow! $10/gal of 12% = $0.651/oz NaClO -- a terrible price.

$2.50/gal of 8.25% = $0.237/oz NaCLO. A decent price, but, not great.

See this thread bleach-prices-2013-t58266.html

man, I must be looking in the wrong places. I have a difficult time finding 8.25% for less than ~$3/gal in Houston. I need to call around some and find a better price.

Target has been running a buy 3-get 1 free sale on their bleach so I stocked up. Comes to $0.213/oz.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.