[PIC] CuLator after 1 month in pump basket...

budgetplan1

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 1, 2013
Cleveland, OH
CuLator 4.0ppm Ultra PowerPak, Gator-Egg after 1 month in pump basket:

b3677739-e9d6-405a-a98b-f7352c63f23b_zps754c37f4.jpg

1. It smelled nasty...like the rotting shores of Lake Erie
2. Upon cutting it open, the innards had turned to a clear, gloopy gel.

Did it do anything? heck if I know...I did test water for metals using Taylor test kit and they were at zero but water has been getting a dose of sequestering agent every week since Ascorbic Acid stain removal on July 4th. No stains right now...

Pump runs 4hrs on high, 20 hours on low each day so water always moving through pump/basket/CuLator.

budgetplan1 said:
I did test water for metals using Taylor test kit and they were at zero...
Did you test for metals before trying the CuLator? A before & after test result would confirm if any metals were removed. Sequestrants do not remove metals from the water, they keep them in suspension and prevent them from depositing as stains. Since the metals are currently testing at 0 ppm, you can try cutting back on or eliminating sequestrant doses and see if any metal stains form. However, if you top off your pool with source water that is known to contain metals, you will need to test periodically and/or keep using the CuLator if you have evidence that it is working.

Reactions: Tena
I'm half tempted to shock the life outta the pool just to see if stains result. I realize the sequestering agent is what is keeping the metal dissolved in the water; I just couldn't remember if it also 'sequesters' it from a metal test.

The metals should still show up in the metal test even with a sequestrant, although you may need to wait longer in the test to see them appear.

Would not shock the pool just to see if any metals precipitate. Shocking (a.k.a., SLAMming) should only be performed if there is clear evidence determining the need to do so as outlined in the SLAM article.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.