Best places to buy bleach

Is my Math here correct?

My PS sells 2.5g of 12% for $8 so that is 1.60 for the equivalent 6% Ultra?

I paid 1.83/gallon at Costo recently and am thinking the 12% at the PS is a slightly better deal.

TIA

Phulish said:
Is my Math here correct?

My PS sells 2.5g of 12% for $8 so that is 1.60 for the equivalent 6% Ultra?

I paid 1.83/gallon at Costo recently and am thinking the 12% at the PS is a slightly better deal.

TIA

Here is how I do it: take price / % chlorine / ounces. I prefer ounces as it seems all the makers use different amounts. This makes it easy on the caclulator so:

2.5 gallons = 320 ounces.

8/.12/320=.208 $/ounce

or

1.83/.06/128 = .238 $/ounce

Yep the 12% is cheaper.

I went to our Leslie's (didn't even know we had one here until the guy at Rec Warehouse referred me there for something else :wink: ) and didn't see any of the 12% (or 10%) liquid chlorine. They had just about everything else you can imagine but didn't see that.
I'm gonna go back and check.....what is the name of it, what do I call it/ask for?

Thanks

new2pools said:
I went to our Leslie's (didn't even know we had one here until the guy at Rec Warehouse referred me there for something else :wink: ) and didn't see any of the 12% (or 10%) liquid chlorine. They had just about everything else you can imagine but didn't see that.
I'm gonna go back and check.....what is the name of it, what do I call it/ask for?

Thanks

All the Pool Stores around here call it "liquid shock". Go figure.

I checked at my neighborhood Leslies, and they told me that they don't carry it. They're telling folks that it'll bleach their liner, and trying to push cal-hypo.

Warehouse Pools in Katy, TX has a case (4) of gallon 12% for $12.89 plus tax.

new2pools said:

Thanks

The Leslie's out here keeps it in the back room. You have to ask for it. They carry 10%. It was $6 or $7 for 2.

I went today and asked the guy at our Leslie's for "Liquid Shock" and he said they don't carry it......"it's too dangerous". :roll: So are alot of things on the many shelves of this store and others.

Oh well, I'll keep buying at Costco I suppose. I was just hoping to have less jugs on recycle day. :wink:

According to saftey codes cal-hypo is the most dangerous thing most pool stores carry, followed by dichlor. Bleach, even 12%, isn't in the same league with those two. Be respectful of your cal-hypo, if you have any. I suspect that the problem they have with bleach is high shipping costs and short shelf life. Bleach doesn't have as much chlorine per pound as the others and once you get into 10-12% concentrations the shelf life is pretty low.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just stick with the Walmart 6% .. the nearest pool store is a half hour away and I almost never make it over there so any savings even if they do stock 12% would be totally wasted on the trip.

I always get my bleach at Wallyworld. 1.something gallons of 6% for $2.28 or around there. Gas here is @ $2.92 / gallon, but fluctuates as much as ten cents a gallon on opposite sides of town - oh yeah, they don't gouge...nah.

Speaking of the dangers of pool chemicals, the local news had a story about a woman who almost blinded herself here recently. Seems she was going to go add some shock to her pool, and thought it would be best to dissolve it in water first, so she added water to the jug that the powdered shock was in. I don't know if she shook it up or what she did, but the jug exploded and sprayed her in the face and eyes. Of course, now they say they're thinking of sueing, even though the bottle had a warning label on it not to add water to the jug. :roll: As Forrest says, "Stupid is as stupid does"..

pooladdict said:
I to am in Canada, although I have a SWG, I keep four jugs (4Litre) of 10.8% Shock, its 3.99 a jug and the best I like, it has a sealed top, no way the bleach can break down over time.
Am I getting ripped?

Rik

4 liters (litres? you wacky Canadians spell funny ;)) is about 1.06 Gallon but it's the 10.8% stuff. Without doing math I think it's about what I pay for bleach around here in upstate, NY.

That said, I don't believe the sealed top won't prevent the bleach from breaking down. I would not buy in quantity.

I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that SWGs may indeed be much less expensive over the long term than bleach.

JenniferB said:
As I am slowly converting to the BBB method, I was out the other night getting some bleach. I was curious to see where all of you are getting the best deals on bleach out there. Because I was in a rush to get some bleach in my pool, I ran to the closest store, Target, and found the 1.42 gal bottles of Clorox (6%) for $2.99. I know that can't be the cheapest price out there!

Would love to hear what you all are using!

I get 3 of those per pack at Sams Club for $6.09. Not too bad considering I buy 9-12 packs per trip.

LOL..go figure, we Canucks talk in Litres for liquid, but still use lbs an such for meats, its you darn yanks telling us, "Go ahead, switch to metric, we will follow you" :)

Even my kids who are teens talk in Standard, ask them what they weigh an its lbs, nice test or waste of money from our politicians.

I have a SWG, and other then when I messed up this week an kept it @10% for 3 days, I use no bleach at all. While I hated spending the large dollars on the SWG, I also can not fathom pouring in a lil bleach every single nite for the rest of my life. We have limits on what we can throw out here, and short of walking the streets to see what neighbors haven't used up their quantity I would be stock piling the bottles in the garage. I wonder why not filling stations exist so customers could bring back their empty's and then refill, not like we care if the bottle was already used?

Rik

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.