fc level for swg

bobby1017

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 2, 2011
Petaluma, Ca
I read that the fc level should be between 3 - 5 for a swg, is there a problem with it being a little higher than that? Here are my tf-100 test results:

fc 8
cc 0
tc 8
ph 7.4
ta 80
ch 390
cya 50
salt 3000
temp 86

The water looks perfect at this level, when the fc was around 4 it would get a slight cloudiness with heavier use, but at 7 / 8 where its been for the past month it stays crystal. I know this may be causing more wear to the swg so I will prob adjust down to 45% run time from 50% on the cell to lower it a little, pump run time is 12 hrs.
I keep adding cya, but due to my auto cover when there is a lot of people, water splashes into the vault so the cya level keeps dropping, I added 8 pounds in the last few months. I guess if I really raised the cya to 70 - 80 the fc level of 3 - 5 would keep the water clear?

fc was around 4 it would get a slight cloudiness with heavier use,
If you know you will have heavy use, you can bump FC w/bleach/liquid chlorine or turn up the SWG.

Having the CYA level at recommended range would help maintain FC at lower level. However, you still need to be aware of heavy bather loads and the impact that will have on the FC.

Thanks, I was adding some cl manually at times as you suggested, but for the last few weeks its been pretty steady at 7 / 8. We had about 10 kids last sunday and the next day it was still crystal without adding additional cl. I guess it makes sense to lower the cl level and then bump up as required as opposed to keeping it higher all the time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.