Getting new pool -advice/review - Comments

Aug 11, 2013
Just getting started. The freeform pool will have a 3.5 to 6 foot depth, 34 foot in length and 16 at the wide point. We're putting in a nice 13 x 6 tanning ledge with 2 bubblers for the grandkids. Also 3 deck jets (just to spray water around into deep end), and, a small fall with 2 12" sheer waterfalls. A Pentair IntelliBrite 5g 120V pool light LED (deep end) and a Pentair 120V small spa light (shallow end). Specs below.

Any experienced pool owners who wish to comment, those would be welcome. Most of the specs generated by the builder, the only extra I added was the variable speed pump. My wife added the deck jets and waterfall sheers!!

No slide, No board.

Thanks in advance.

12,000 Gallons - Gunite
Pentair Tagelus top mount 300lb sand - Pentair IntelliFlo VS Pump - Pentair inline Rainbow 320
P-4 Goldine Salt Chlorinator - Pentair - SpaSide Remote
IG - 34 x 16 - 3.5 shallow - 6 foot deep - Dolphin DX3 Cleaner
Gunite - Plaster - SGM - Spray Deck (New Orleans, LA)

Hi, welcome to TFP! Sounds like you will have a very nice pool when completed. Please edit your signature and put the pool info from the bottom of your post in there, then it will show up in all your posts and you won't have to retype it in the future.

Welcome to TFP, donvjames :wave:

Looks like you have the basics covered. The only stip I would put in the contract is that no plumbing shall be run under the pool except for what is absolutely necessary (and the only item that falls into that category should be the main drain). Some builders use the "direct plumbing" method which is code for they will run the piping in the shortest path possible even if it means running it under the pool. You want as much of the plumbing to be as accessible as possible should you ever need to get at it. I would take pics during the build so you will know where the pipes are.

Thanks, good advice. I'll specifically mention it to the builder.

Yes, I plan on taking many, many pictures while under construction. I have built two homes from ground up and the hundreds of construction pictures I have for those projects proved invaluable when repairs were done. nice to know what's under stuff. Thank you.

The chlorinator is my mistake. I just removed it from my sig block. It was on the "basic package" stuff but is NOT there due to the P-4 Goldline SWG. As for the SWG my guys like the Hayward? Thinks it will do the job. he handles both product lines so I am giving him the benefit of his expertise.

I would question him on the warranty and the integration. I don't think the Hayward automation interfaces well with the Pentair pump. And Pentair extends the warranty to 3 years when you buy 3 pieces of equipment at the same time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.