Hello from Frisco, Tx

Frisco5:

Looking at the big picture at this point, I would decide on is whether you want a salt pool (a.k.a., SWG) or a manually chlorinated pool. One common misconception is that salt pools do not use chlorine (which is false). A salt water chlorine generator (SWG) uses electricity to convert salt into chlorine. As the chlorine gets used up, it turns back into salt, ready to be reused. With a SWG, you are still using chlorine, the SWG simply takes care of adding the chlorine for you.

If you travel frequently and the pool will be unattended for several days a week without someone in the family able and willing to test and add chlorine daily, a salt pool would probably be the way to go as it does not require daily chlorine additions. Otherwise, a manually-chlorinated pool (which is what I have) would save you a bit of up-front $. If you go with the manually-chlorinated pool and your life situation changes to where you are traveling frequently, you can always convert to a SWG. Here's an article explaining SWG in a bit more detail: Salt Water Chlorine Generators

Only other big picture suggestion I have is to try to keep things as simple as possible while meeting your requirements. You always want to have one eye focused on maintenance. Pool builders like to sell you lots of "gee-whiz" stuff, much of which is unnecessary.

Once you get further along, post specs and price quotes and we can help vet them.

Thanks for all that information. I have been told by a few people to stay away from salt water pools because of corrison issues. I don't know enough yet to say that is the case. I will be around to take care of the pool, the more I look into it the more work it seems to be. I am trying to do my homework before I start taking with builders. So far I got that variable speed motors are the way to go to save on electric, my neighbor told me pebble tec finish is idea if you can afford the upfront cost. I am still trying to figure out the monthly cost to have a pool, electric bill, chemicals and etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome to TFP!

Welcome to TFP! There are LOTS of pool owners around you. My suggestion to is to go for a walk around your neighborhood and knock on the doors of people who have pools. Tell them who you are and that you want to know how their contract and build experience was. They will be thrilled to talk to you about it, either way. You'll learn volumes about the reputation and pricing of all of the major contractor players in your area.

In the DFW area, much of the problems that people face surrounding SWCG pools have to do with the type of stone used. Natural stone seems to have more issues reported with salt corrosion.

Welcome from West TX. I'm at the end of your research road, and it's been about a 2 year journey for me. My wife finally caught some pool fever earlier this summer and now it seems a reality. We are about to make our final selection for a builder this week. Hope you enjoy the forum!