Threaded pipe fittings "underground" (kind of)?

Jul 5, 2011
Northern NJ
When asking a question on an unrelated subject another member noticed that I used DWV long sweep elbows on a couple return lines.
I'm going to replace tomorrow with sched 40 fittings. However, I may reconfigure my piping/equipment again next season.

I was thinking that instead of cutting and cementing a PVC coupling, short length of pipe and sch 40 elbow, I would cut and attach a female, threaded fitting to the return line coming from under the deck. The rest of the line would be configured with a male, threaded fitting at its end. This will allow me to reconfigure next year without shortening the pipe coming from under the deck.

Additionally, I'm planning on "vaulting" these pipes. I'll lay block on each side of the pipe (3 pipes run alongside each other) and then place flat stone on top of the block. The "vaulted" area will then be covered with gravel....it's only about 8' long and 18" wide. This will allow me to easily access for maintenance etc.

Thoughts on code, design improvement, alternatives or experience welcome.

Attachments

• Male Female.jpg
    Male Female.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 72
Before the advent of pvc there was probably thousands of miles of threaded steel pipe buried underground and you almost never heard of a joint leaking. I personally don't think it's a problem. I'm sure others will disagree, but if it does leak, you know where to look. And it's just pool water.

Glued fittings are so much easier and more reliable, I can't imagine why you would want to do what you propose. Cutting pipe is simple, quick, and reliable, I don't see any point in putting any effort into avoiding doing so. Glued will also be less expensive, though that isn't much of a difference in this situation.

I would think a union would be a better option. Just have to replace o-ring if it started leaking. I have same issue with short pipe coming from ground and every cut moves it lower to ground. If union not option then maybe glue coupler and additional riser pipe to get above ground. Just some thoughts.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.