Wichita Falls, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
My SWG died right as I was going out of town. They got it fix but I was gone for 2 weeks and alge got ahold of it. I know how to shock but have a question on what type of chlorine I have. I went to the pool store and asked for the cheapest way to put straight chlorine into the pool with no stabilizer/cyneric acid. I was given bio guard CLC3 which is 57.8% Calcium Hypochorite.

After doing some reseach it appears this is not striaght chlorine. If it is in fact not what other chemicals will it raise in the pool.

Thanks

It's Cal-Hypo. The following are chemical facts independent of concentration of product and of pool size:

For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it will also increase Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it will also increase CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it will also increase Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm.

So the Cal-Hypo will raise your CH. If your CH isn't high, then that may be OK, but since you have a gunite (plaster) pool surface, your pool water is probably already near saturation with calcium carbonate. So you can probably use some of this product but don't overdo it. If your CH is already high, then use chlorinating liquid or bleach instead. Or if you think they will take back this product and exchange it for chlorinating liquid (if they sell it), then you can do that instead.

I can't take it back. I guess get rid of the algae first then worry about cal. I just checked cal and it was 500 I hope it is artificially high. At the first of the season it was fine and I have not added any to it.

At the first of the season it was fine and I have not added any to it.
The addition of Cal Hypo to your pool is the majority source of your CH problem. Don't use ANY more of it and keep your pH down around 7.2 - 7.4 and it should cause you know problems.

Splashout and rain water will slowly lower your CH.

This is the first time I have ever used hypo cal and it will be the last. The pool is 3 years old and I have never done anything besides dump some bleach in after a party to help. So do I need to worry about ch being 500 and a fill water of 70. If I can avoid draining I will because we are in sever water restrictions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
alf1096 said:
Fill water is 70 is that where all the ca would be coming from
Well that is strange then to have the CH get so high if you only added some recently and your fill water only has 70 ppm CH. Yes, evaporation and refill will increase the CH, but even if your entire pool volume evaporated and refilled in one year (not unreasonable if you have 54" of annual evaporation), that would be only a 70 ppm CH increase and even double that is 140 ppm CH. Perhaps over multiple years if you had no water dilution it would be possible, but still seems strange.

The good news is that a partial drain/refill would lower your CH level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.