drink table - Revised!

hyperionguy

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 2, 2012
Houston, TX
I read through some threads about various drink tables that hang on the side rails. The Intex one on Amazon is no longer available, and besides it was a bit small.

I spent a couple of hours making laps around Home Depot assembling various contraptions. I put one together with PCV and decided it looked just ok. Then I put one together using vinyl coated utility hooks screwed into a table top with a support rod going from the middle of the table to the side of the pool, capped with a rubber pole cap, like for a step ladder. After thinking about it for awhile, I decided that I would rather have something level with the top of the rail and easily moved for when I shuffle things around.

I ended up getting an 18" round pine table top ($4.88, lumber section). I wandered around looking for various ways to put legs on it in a way that required minimal carpentry. After looking at a couple of scenarios it dawned on me that I had an extra patio umbrella base sitting in the garage. :idea:

So I went to the plumbing section and picked up a 3/4 galvanized flange ($4) and a 48" x 3/4" galvanized male-threaded pipe ($12) (to match the 48" height of my pool) and some 1" outdoor wood screws. I stained the table top with leftovers of the same Behr fence stain/sealer I used on my cedar fence.

It came out alright. It's taller than I wanted because the bottom of the umbrella base is higher off the ground than I remembered. I'll live with it a bit and decide if I want to either go to 36" and have to reach over the edge or drag out my miter saw, put my metal blade on it and made a ton of noise cutting it.

I know, it looks crooked, but it isn't. It just looks that way in my pic.

Cheers!

Attachments

• table done.jpg
    table done.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 265
  • table flange.jpg
    table flange.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 265
Re: drink table

I discovered once it was set up that due to rust the weld between the shaft that holds the table leg (or umbrella rod) and the base is compromised. It caused it to rock a bit and I know it will eventually snap. The base is 5 years old, so i'm not surprised.

So back to Home Depot I went. I bought another disk like the top and stained/sealed it. I added soft/flexible feet and another galvanized flange.

Table 2.0!

Attachments

• table 2.0.jpg
    table 2.0.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 183
  • table feet.jpg
    table feet.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 183
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.