What size filter do I have?

May 18, 2012
Greensboro NC
I have a Hayward super pump, I know it isn't related to the filter per-se, but I figured if the previous owner of the house purchased a Hayward pump, he would have likely bought a Hayward filter as well.

This is a picture of my set-up:
IMAG0552.jpg

I am asking, because my pool is not clearing up, and I am painfully low on sand, according to the Hayward manual, the sand should be within 6" of the top of the filter tank, and I have about 16" from the top of the filter tank.
http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals ... -S244T.pdf

I measured the diameter to be around 22" and the height (according to measuring like the following diagram) to be 41".

pump.jpg

According to the below table, I likely have a S220T, which would hold 250lbs of sand, and be able to filter 24,900 gallons of water in 8 hours, which would make it appropriately sized for my pool.

filter+chart.jpg

What is blowing my mind however, is that I found a sticker on the bottom of my filter that says:
WHEN WINTERIZING:
REMOVE CAP TO DRAIN TANK.
LEAVE CAP OFF DURING WINTER.
S180-X-4

Thoughts?

If that thing is 10" low on sand, sounds like you have a broken lateral(s) allowing sand into the pool. Any sand in the pool? Maybe the sand was replaced once and never properly refilled? I think that's a tad on the small size for a 24k pool. The sticker is so that if you winterize your pool, you drain the filter so it doesn't crack from frozen water expansion.

Took all the sand out, laterals look perfect, nearly brand new, which reminded me. The previous owner of the house told me that he had the laterals/sand replaced not too long ago.

I do find a little sand in the bottom, with my Polaris, but not a lot. Since the sand was replaced just a few years ago, and I am short 10", makes me think they didn't put enough in when they did it.

Kind of makes sense though, that label I mentioned earlier could lead one to think that the filter takes 150lbs instead of 250lbs.

Still weirds me out that the label says 180.

20130810_141504.jpg

If that thing is 10" low on sand, sounds like you have a broken lateral(s) allowing sand into the pool. Any sand in the pool? Maybe the sand was replaced once and never properly refilled? I think that's a tad on the small size for a 24k pool. The sticker is so that if you winterize your pool, you drain the filter so it doesn't crack from frozen water expansion.

I know this is reviving an old thread but...

If you think my filter is a tad small, any recommendations? I'm open to a new, bigger filter but I'm price conscious, so sand is likely the way to go. I'd like to go cartridge but feel it may be out of my price range.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.