Floated liner - what next??

Lowarea

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 4, 2013
upstate NY - Horseheads
After heavy rains all week and a big down pour two nights ago I came home yesterday to a floated liner. (see pics) I've reasearched on this site, but I didn't come away with a consensus on what to do next. It seems some say wait and it may go back, others suggest trying to pump water out from behind it. The pool water never went over the top of the liner, no leaks

This is my first year with a pool and don't have a firm grasp on what lies beneath the liner. Judging from others pictures, this case of floated liner doesn't seem too bad.?

We've had lot of rain this year and I've been happy with the drainage around the house and pool but it was simply too much rain. The ground is heavy clay and is slow to drain.

Should I be intervening now trying to smooth out the liner, or wait and see?

If the liner does go back into place but leaves wrinkles, does it have to be smoothed out and how best to do it?

Can we use the pool as it is now?

not sure if pics will post??
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-fjJm ... /liner.jpg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-9fzR ... 1%255D.jpg

I don't think there is an absolute correct answer. If it were my pool, I would intervene and try to gently assist the liner back into place as the groundwater subsides.

No guarantee of success but that's the path I would take

Personally i would try and push the liner back as soon as possible. Getting the liner back to the base of the wall before the water gets out is very important if you don't want permanent wrinkles.
If the liner is floated around the drain, skimmer or stair strip you could already have stretched the screw holes out which could cause a leak.
As far as how to get the water from behind the liner, i can't be of much help because the only way I have ever done this was with a spare pool pump. It was modified with a piece of pipe on the suction side to go behind the liner (we just took a few inches of liner out of the coping) and waste hose on the return to get it away from the pool.
It would also be helpful to have a lot of hands and feet in the pool to push the liner back to where it used to be or alternatively some weights to hold the liner back against the wall.

Just finished trying to work out the wrinkles on the bottom and the looseness along the wall and floor in the shallow end. I made no real progress. The wrinkles came right back. There is definitely water still trapped behind the liner and pool wall and floor. It is most obvious in the corners.

That leads me to my next question. In a typical install, Will the walls and floor let the water drain from behind the liner?

In a typical install they should have put a drain tile around the footers of the pool walls. Depending on the site, most are gravity drained and will have a piece of drain tile visible somewhere downhill of the pool slightly lower than level with the shallow end floor. If this is clogged by roots/silt then the pool will have a reoccurring floating liner.
Some pools in flat areas will have a sump pump and a pit instead of the tile run downhill.
It could take several dry days for a pool to drain off the ground water so your best bet is some sort of pump to speed up the process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.