Best heater for pool & spa combination

Rego

Aug 9, 2013
We live in Canada and have a pool and spa both networked together. In the winter we quit heating the pool but keep water circulating in both. we do this to allow continued use of the spa all winter and maintain water quality. The problem is during the winter condensation builds up in the heater when it's not on. I know it's caused by the cold pool water running through the heater which sits in a heated cabana. The question is can anyone recommend a heater that can survive in such an evironment, the current heater needs replacement after five years. Heat exchanger just began to leak and balance of unit is so corroded it's not worth repairing.

We do have bypass valves in place however bypassing the heater also means turning off the pilot light. I know lighting the pilot is no big deal but wife dislikes relighting it so would reduce the convienence of having everything ready to go. It's a practical answer but would prefer to buy a quality heater that can take the abuse.

Most of the heaters these days do not have pilot lights, they're electronically ignited.

I don't know if you installed a bypass if that will help, as I would think the heater would then need to be drained after every use or else the water could freeze.

I suggest a Raypak with a cupro-nickel heat exchanger. Wait to see what some of the TFP experts have to say.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.