Pumping station protection

Jul 4, 2010
Apple Valley, California
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
The photo is my current pumping station.

I just purchased a new Pentair IntelliFlo variable speed pump to replace my old Hayward RS 1.5hp pump. My current pump is starting to lag when turning on, so I wanted to use this for a reason to upgrade to a more efficient pump. So, since I will be installing a new $$$ costly pump, I also want to build some sort of cover/shed/awning over the pumping station. What you see in the photo is pretty much what it looked like 9.5 years ago when I moved in. This is the South facing wall of the house and gets direct sun for the majority of the day, except for the early morning and late evening hours. Add to that the fact that where I live, in the 92307 zip code area, it gets very hot during the summer. Sometimes up around 110F. So, I want to build something to protect my new investment. I am also thinking about replacing the filter in the near furture too.

So, my thoughts are:
1) the main purpose is protection from the sun
2) I am disinclined to attach it to the house, but I might budge on this
3) it doesn't *have* to be water tight
4) it needs to be very sturdy to withstand the high winds we sometimes get
5) there must be enough room on one side to get equipment in and out for maintenance and/or repair
6) the roof has to be above the electric meter, otherwise it will be difficult to get to the breaker panel

Is there anything else I need to consider in the design and build of this cover? I'm thinking of four, treated, fence posts at the corners. Cut off the two outside posts for about a 10 degree slant of the roof. Maybe corragated fiberglass for the roof. And maybe on the sides too. It doesn't have to be fancy, just something to protect the equipment from the sun.

Any thought or suggestions?

Has anybody else done anything like this?

[attachment=0:2uolo3mz]P1000617_760x570.JPG[/attachment:2uolo3mz]

Attachments

• P1000617_760x570.JPG
    P1000617_760x570.JPG
    211.6 KB · Views: 85
I think your big problem is going to be your heater. It looks like the pump is too close to enclose it but not the heater, but to enclose the heater you will have to follow some pretty strict specs. Proper clearance, venting, etc. If you just throw wood around and above it and it catches fire your insurance company is probably not going to cover it.

Donldson said:
I think your big problem is going to be your heater. It looks like the pump is too close to enclose it but not the heater, but to enclose the heater you will have to follow some pretty strict specs. Proper clearance, venting, etc. If you just throw wood around and above it and it catches fire your insurance company is probably not going to cover it.

Since I am not trying to achieve weather tightness, I was thinking more along the lines of an open sided cover. I'm thinking of a roof, and maybe the first two or three feet, from the roof down, covered. My main concern is protection from the sun, nothing else.

See drawing for my idea of the "floor" plan. See posts positions. I will be setting the posts in concrete.

(This was a quick drawing, nothing is exact or drawn to scale.)

[attachment=0:3cdehy48]PumpCoverLayout.jpg[/attachment:3cdehy48]

Attachments

• PumpCoverLayout.jpg
    PumpCoverLayout.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 67
You need to design the roof correctly to avoid issues with the heater. The rules about overhanging roofs and heaters vary a bit from place to place, but generally a roof must be at least 3' above the highest point on the heater and open on three sides.

JasonLion said:
You need to design the roof correctly to avoid issues with the heater. The rules about overhanging roofs and heaters vary a bit from place to place, but generally a roof must be at least 3' above the highest point on the heater and open on three sides.

Thanks for that input Jason. That shouldn't be a problem. The posts will be 8', with about 1.5 foot in the ground. That leaves the roof 6.5 foot high at the highest point (in the rear, next to the house). And, I envision all four sides to be open, with just enough siding (from the top down) to protect the equipment from the sun. I'm not sure how tall the heater is, I'll have to check that tomorrow. Maybe I can get 10' posts?

To encourage you, I was able to place my equipment in my garage 9 years ago. Like you, protection from the sun was foremost but keeping it mostly dry is a big plus, too.

In that time, all my equipment has operated flawlessly and looks maybe a year old. I am a big fan of enclosing if it is at all possible. I think it has contributed a great deal to the longevity I am experiencing.

I may be able to get another 10 years

Be careful about how much shadow you put on the pump - if you need to de-bug a problem down the road, you will want lots of light - I'd put the forward (closest to house) posts just a few inches ahead of the pump - the rear wall will provide most of the shade you need during the summer, and the house will provide it during the winter

happyheathen said:
Be careful about how much shadow you put on the pump - if you need to de-bug a problem down the road, you will want lots of light - I'd put the forward (closest to house) posts just a few inches ahead of the pump - the rear wall will provide most of the shade you need during the summer, and the house will provide it during the winter

Good point. Thanks for the input.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.