Any reason to be concerned? (AGP Installation Question)

shltn

Jul 23, 2013
I just had my pool installation finished yesterday and been filling through the night till now. The rain has stopped and it's just about ready to start the filter and get my water tested / first chemicals added and I noticed one of the uprights is leaning / bulging out compared to the rest. Here's a pic...

[attachment=0:eek:ta2ox74]Pool-Upright01.jpg[/attachment:eek:ta2ox74]
[attachment=1:eek:ta2ox74]Pool-Upright01b.jpg[/attachment:eek:ta2ox74]

Should I be concerned with how this upright is sitting? Here is a pic of the opposite side...

[attachment=2:eek:ta2ox74]Pool-Upright02.jpg[/attachment:eek:ta2ox74]

Attachments

• Pool-Upright02.jpg
    Pool-Upright02.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 455
  • Pool-Upright01b.jpg
    Pool-Upright01b.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 456
  • Pool-Upright01.jpg
    Pool-Upright01.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 455
Is the pool partially buried on that side? You will want to look at the bottom rail and see if the wall has popped out of the track. If you had someone install it for you have them come check it out.

Spoke with the installer. He thinks one of the blocks might've cracked. So he's supposed to come out in the next couple days and fix it. The worst part is he says I'll have to drain about half of it.

I did ask if it was safe if the kids wanted to get in this weekend before its repaired and he said it was. Do any of you have any thoughts to the contrary? No worth someone getting hurt or damaging the pool for a couple days of swimming.

I agree that if you had someone install it have them come back out and look at it. I would be curious to see if the cement block under the end of that upright has sunk any by digging the dirt up that is on top to check it out. With all of the water in that trench that is my guess that it sank just a little but and the top is now setting out further than the rest. Or they just didn't have it level.

I installed my own oval 21x43 and had 7 uprights on each side. Out of the 14 I had 1 not quite as level as the rest and it looks the same as yours. Makes me mad but I didn't see it until it had water in it. I wasn't about to empty it for one upright. It hasn't moved in the year it has been up yet.

Either way your probably fine if your not in an area that is prone to settling or pour drainage. I didn't notice where your located.

shltn said:
Spoke with the installer. He thinks one of the blocks might've cracked. So he's supposed to come out in the next couple days and fix it. The worst part is he says I'll have to drain about half of it.

I did ask if it was safe if the kids wanted to get in this weekend before its repaired and he said it was. Do any of you have any thoughts to the contrary? No worth someone getting hurt or damaging the pool for a couple days of swimming.

I don't think it will be a problem for you rouse the pool. I would be curious as to how he goes about replacing the block under it. If you can give an update after he has fixed it to let us know how he did it if that is what is done.

I kinda thought the same thing myself. Probably jumped the track, as you guys mentioned. He did say he's had a "block crack" before but only a couple times in past years (been installing for 23). Figures it'd be mine :)

I'll keep you posted in this thread as it shakes out.

The kids and I went for a swim today. It was a tad cold (water temp ~75) but we managed :)

I did notice something else; On the far end of the pool I could hear some squeaking / creaking as we swam down there. The kids were playing around and I was swimming that direction but nothing wild - no jumping in or anything.

Guess my question is - is this normal? Do above ground pools just squeak / creak a little? Wanted to get some input and see if I was just being paranoid. Or if it does need addressed I will have them do so when they are here to fix that upright.

I appreciate everyone's far more experienced advice and hope I'm not driving everyone crazy :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Were you under water or above ? I ask because when you go under and sit on bottom and listen you can hear ALOT of small noise like settling etc.. Heak My nephew was whistling under water the other day and I came up quick, going what the heak.. He was laughing, cause he knew I was doing my inspecting.. I have several bottom pressure plates showing in mine. Because we didn't pack below them but around them :hammer: now the ground is settiling..

shltn said:
The kids and I went for a swim today. It was a tad cold (water temp ~75) but we managed :)

I did notice something else; On the far end of the pool I could hear some squeaking / creaking as we swam down there. The kids were playing around and I was swimming that direction but nothing wild - no jumping in or anything.

Guess my question is - is this normal? Do above ground pools just squeak / creak a little? Wanted to get some input and see if I was just being paranoid. Or if it does need addressed I will have them do so when they are here to fix that upright.

I appreciate everyone's far more experienced advice and hope I'm not driving everyone crazy :)

I have never heard anything like that either in our pool.

Did you by chance take a look at those uprights in the suspected area when you got of the pool? I would at least take a look and see if you can find anything loose. i would also watch from the outside while there are swimmers in it to see if you can see any movement. That way if you do find something you can give the PB a little more info than it squeaks down there on the end. Just some ideas.

Thank you both for your input.

When I heard the noise I was above water. So then I got out and walked around and looked. The only thing I noticed visually was there was a small gap between the pool wall and one of the uprights. I could also very faintly still hear the creaking from outside - but the water wasn't as nearly turbulent as the kids and I weren't swimming around at that point. I was a little gun shy to tell them to splash around a bunch so I could check for movement but may do so today.

He has not made it out yet. I'm hoping Monday or Tuesday.

This is gap I was referring to...
[attachment=0:3175kq2k]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376232489.437213.jpg[/attachment:3175kq2k]

This seemed to be where the noise was coming from but might possibly be totally unrelated.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376232489.437213.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376232489.437213.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 327
Haha! I have the same problem - takes twice as long trying to type with more mistakes. Love technology :)

Thank you! I'll have them check that area as well. Now I might just be paranoid - picturing swimming and the wall blows out and the kids and I go surfing across the yard :)

Same here when i saw my first pressure plate showing up. Scared me. I cannot drain to repair because im afraid it will colapse in. The have stopped settling and only 4 can b seen.. So in a couple years i will replace liner and repair.. Good luck. Yall will enjoy

It's funny how when you're swimming in other people's pools you don't think about stuff like this. But when it's yours its easy to find problems and perhaps even nitpick.

Good news though - installer is coming out tomorrow to get things sorted out. Looking forward to that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.