Staining on pool light and skimmer entrance

Jul 21, 2011
Hello Folks,

We haven't swam in the pool for about a week and a half because the weather hasn't co-operated. But I took the cover off last night to clean the pool for my daughters birthday party this weekend and found some staining on my lights. One light has just a little, while the other one has allot. These lights go into the side wall of the pool.

Pool Specs - 16,000 gal. fiberglass, SWG with Cartridge Filters

The water is clear as you can see from the images below.

Here are the specs:

Pool Type - Fiberglass
Pool Size - 16,000 gal.
Chlorine - SWG
Filter Style - Cartridge

FC - 4.64
TC - 5.14
CC - 0.5
pH - 7.8
Hardness - 192
Alkalinity - 97
CYA - 65
Copper - 0.2
Iron - 0.1
Borate - 6

LIGHT #1

This light is furthest away from the returns and as you can see has just a little bit of staining around the outer edge of the white part of the light.

L1-a.jpg
L1-b.jpg

Light #2

This light is closest to the returns and as you can see has alot of staining on the front and the backside which goes into the wall of the pool.

L2-a.jpg
L2-b.jpg

The pool store gave me some metallic stain remover, but he said he wasn't sure if it would work or not. I thought I would check here to find out what you folks think. If the stain remover won't work then I will just take it back to the store.

SKIMMER

This isn't really staining but more or less fading I think, but the top edge of my skimmer entrance is fading. Our pool gets allot of sun (new sub-division) so I am not sure what I can do.

What are my options to clean this up? could I get a new cover to put over it? or is this just something I have to live with.

skimmer.jpg

Tried rubbing the vitamin C. Don't know how it works but at the rate I was going it would have taken 3 bottles of the stuff to make a slight difference.

So I have to assume if vC would have worked then it wouldn't have been this hard.

What now?

The yellow-orange-tan color on lights is an iron deposit. Use 1 part muriatic acid to 4 parts water in bottle and squirt on. It is more potent than the other treatments and should remove it easily. Rinse with tap water afterwards.
Should work on skimmer too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.