Help Install Solar Blanket

Shaf77

Jun 10, 2010
Toronto, ON. Canada
Follow up from this thread - pool-heater-cost-question-t67640.html

We were given this roller system - http://www.feherguard.com/_newpages_/pr ... lsreelanch

Last night we just put the cover over the pool without the roller.

Please can you help me set it up?

The side that goes to the roller, I assume should not be cut at all.
Where is the best location for me to the roller? When setting up the length of the roller, should I Use the max width of the pool or the blanket? Asking before I use the screws that came with the roller to fix the length of it. Don't want to make holes as yet, until I know what I am doing..

When we put the roller yesterday at 6pm, the pool was at 83F. This morning its at 80F... So not sure if it even helped :(

Would really appreciate some help please.

Having been using the blanket with no roller and its hard.

Last night put it on and it was windy so I put some pavers on the deck to hold it. Found one paver in the pool this morning. Would the paver cause any damage?

Shaf77 said:
Would really appreciate some help please.

Having been using the blanket with no roller and its hard.

Last night put it on and it was windy so I put some pavers on the deck to hold it. Found one paver in the pool this morning. Would the paver cause any damage?

I can't help you with the reel much. I just followed the directions that came with it. I set mine the width of the cover plus 4-6 inches per side clearance. This left room for when the cover doesn't roll up perfectly even. Obviously, the reel is set wider than the pool. My cover is a couple of inches wider than the pool and I didn't want to cut it. The hard part with the cover is getting it to wind up evenly.

My cover attaches to the reel with straps and getting all the straps the same length so the reel pulls on the cover evenly took some adjustment. If you are winding the cover on with one person it works better to wind from one side for a little and then switch sides. My cover is just a little wider than the surface of the pool and it helps keep it aligned on the reel if I switch sides. I wind with one hand and pull on the cover with the other if it starts to creep to one side.

If the paver didn't damage the liner you are fine. I have fished out pool toys, chairs and tables the last time we had very high winds. A scuff is ok, you don't want to see any cuts in the liner.

My shallow end is about 1/3 of the pool. I put the float line that marks the shallow end over the cover when it is going to be windy. The wind usually blows from that end anyway so if the wind is very high when it lifts the cover it just flips it over the float line. That way it stays on the pool instead of in my yard.

I learned this trick the first time I had to retrieve my cover from my neighbors corn field. I also make sure the straps are not holding the end of the cover up where the wind can get under it.

Thanks for the help. That's what I was thinking of doing. The cover I got though is 36'x18' and my pool is 34'x16'.

If I connect the cover with the straps at one end (have a diving rock, so it's hard to figure out where to setup). Also have a water fall...

Once connected to the roller, what If i leave that end uncut, but cut the rest to fit and go up the liner to under the coping?

Don't want to mess it up and cut. Measure many times and cut once.

Pic of pool to help with layout of where to have the roller. I would prefer to have the roller on the left side (near the diving rock, so that I can carry it down to grass when not in use. Also, pool cabana will be at the concrete pad you see there, so would be easier for storage.

20130807_181916.jpg

Pics of how cover is setup now.

20130813_204339_resized.jpg

20130813_204323_resized.jpg

Crazy idea... hang the reel on the fence and build a cover over it that has a door. Install long straps to the cover with some adjuster in them like on a backpack strap. Add the straps to your cover and when you want to put the cover away for use, crank it into the cover "box" the close the door to cover it and protect it from the sun.

I hated dealing with my cover so it always sat in a pile on the deck/yard/wherever... until it rotted, then it was in the recycle bin. I would like a reel but where to put it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.