Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New test results - which CYA results to believe

1. Back To Top    #1

New test results - which CYA results to believe

Latest test results using TF-100
    1100 061408
    FC 7.5 (holding steady overnight not losing anything - yay - no algae)
    CC 0
    TC 7.5
    pH 7.2 (where should this be exactly)?
    T/A 130 (where should this be exactly)?
    CH 100 (vinyl lined pool - should be ok)
    CYA 40 when using test kit - Aquacheck strips=0 hth strips=0 - what to believe?

use pool calculator and chemgeek's chart but because of being unsure of the CYA not sure what to do if anything. Have automated chlorinator and am using 3" tabs until I run out so that should be putting some CYA into the pool.

Thanks!

Water still a bit cloudy - appears algae is gone (holding FC numbers overnight)- still trying to clear water - perhaps this is why CYA is hard to read?
    ____________________________________________________________ __________________
    IG VL, 18'x36'x5', Hayward S220T sand filter, Hayward gas heater, MagneTek 1HP pump, Hayward automatic chlorinator, solar cover, Kreepy Krauly. Pool was hole in the ground that I put my money into for the past 5 years but thanks to TFP that changed and I'm enjoying being a pool owner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New test results - which CYA results to believe

Yes, that could be...but just an FYI, last year auqacheck strips said my CYA was 30-50 and it was over 110, via home testing and pool store testing....thruout the summer it never read accurately on the strips.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Trust the TF-100 results. Strips can be way off.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks frustratedpoolman & Jason! I imagine I have to wait for the water to be totally clear before I can truly rely on the TF-100 CYA results? As the water is still clearing up after opening to green on 05/28/08.

Also, where should my pH and TA be? I've read a couple different recommendations on this site alone.

Thanks again!
    IG VL, 18'x36'x5', Hayward S220T sand filter, Hayward gas heater, MagneTek 1HP pump, Hayward automatic chlorinator, solar cover, Kreepy Krauly. Pool was hole in the ground that I put my money into for the past 5 years but thanks to TFP that changed and I'm enjoying being a pool owner.

5. Back To Top    #5

Ideally your PH should be 7.4 - 7.6 and I wouldn't worry about the TA 90-120 is ok. other people have even higher TA and no probs.... you can turn your return upward and let the bubbles break the water surface, this will raise your ph a tad, and lower your TA (aeration). Keep an eye on this tho, for some people it happens quicker than others and if your ph gets above 7.8 - 8 you need to lower it again with muratic acid.
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks frustratedpoolman. I appreciate your input. I recently changed my eyeballs to http://thecirculator.com/ and they seem to break the top of the water at least once a minute or so. This has been the case since about Wednesday. Other than what's been posted on the forums, any other ideas as to how to aerate?

Have a great weekend.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by cincysaab95
    Thanks frustratedpoolman. I appreciate your input. I recently changed my eyeballs to http://thecirculator.com/ and they seem to break the top of the water at least once a minute or so. This has been the case since about Wednesday. Other than what's been posted on the forums, any other ideas as to how to aerate?

Have a great weekend.
    Nope. never really had the issue myself....

You have a great one too!

8. Back To Top    #8

Other ideas on how to aerate? Have you seen WaterBear's sticky? viewtopic.php?t=5341
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!