Pumps and Valves - 2sp vs VS?

May 22, 2013
Austin, TX
I'm debating between a 2sp and variable speed pump. I've read all the posts regarding cost per kWh, and from that I would say a 2spd is fine. However, I still keep thinking that I like the flexibility of a VS.

Our pool will be:
IGP, gunite, approx 14k gallons, raised spa, spillway to the pool, 2 bubblers on tanning ledge, raised bond beam w/ 2 sheers. My PB is strongly pushing a 2 speed over a VS. In fact, he personally prefers a single speed. He says that if I get a VS, I'll end up programming it for 2 speeds anyway! I asked about how I'd adjust the amount of water the water features are pushing and he said they are controlled via valves, not pump speed and in fact, if I kick the pump up I'll have water going crazy everywhere unless I re-adjust the valves.

So - whats the opinion here? Will I use a VS's features or will a 2sp do everything I need?

While this is a great question and you will get some opinions both ways (I would get a VSP if you able to financially for a new build but a 2 speed would be fine as well) but I see a bigger problem. So your pool builder would prefer a single speed pump controlled by valves over a 2 speed or VSP? That is an explanation I would love to hear...

jv92red said:
While this is a great question and you will get some opinions both ways (I would get a VSP if you able to financially for a new build but a 2 speed would be fine as well) but I see a bigger problem. So your pool builder would prefer a single speed pump controlled by valves over a 2 speed or VSP? That is an explanation I would love to hear...

He basically says that on low speed, the water features dont run well, and as far as cost savings his theory is running for xTime on High Speed isn't much different that 2xTime on Low speed. I tend to think he's just a little bit old school in his approach, but he'll do whatever I ask in the end - I just want to make sure I ask for the right thing! LOL. He's also self admittedly very 'frugal' in his approach. He's tried to talk me out of spending money more often than not. :)

zea3 said:
Is your builder only recommending one pump to do all that? What size pump does he recommend?

No - I forgot to mention he is recommending a booster pump (for the sheers I believe). We just added sheers to the design, so originally it was just the spa spillover and bubblers and he was recommending the 2HP/2spd TriStar. I think he's still recommending the same main pump plus a booster.

A VS pump is a lot more versatile especially where multiple water features of different designs are involved. To take advantage of the capabilities of the pump you need an automation system so that you can program the speed to match the operating parameters. (i.e. if the bubblers are selected you can have the pump run at a certain speed, whereas if the spa is selected, it can run at a different speed, and if the cleaner is selected it can run at an even different speed. In this case I'd select a VS over any other pump.

Depending on choking off valves to adjust the flow isn't a good control scheme for pools. Actuated pool valves aren't control valves, they only have two set positions on and off. Even though you can limit how far they open you can't readily adjust it. And it's going to be a pita to manually adjust the valves everytime you want a little dlfferent action form the feature.

Which automation system are you going to have?

Bama Rambler said:
A VS pump is a lot more versatile especially where multiple water features of different designs are involved. To take advantage of the capabilities of the pump you need an automation system so that you can program the speed to match the operating parameters. (i.e. if the bubblers are selected you can have the pump run at a certain speed, whereas if the spa is selected, it can run at a different speed, and if the cleaner is selected it can run at an even different speed. In this case I'd select a VS over any other pump.

Depending on choking off valves to adjust the flow isn't a good control scheme for pools. Actuated pool valves aren't control valves, they only have two set positions on and off. Even though you can limit how far they open you can't readily adjust it. And it's going to be a pita to manually adjust the valves everytime you want a little dlfferent action form the feature.

Which automation system are you going to have?

I think we are getting the Hayward Aqua Plus Panel.

One other thing I thought of that might be related to all of this is that we are going w/ a robotic cleaner, so the pump isn't part of that system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.