Tampering???

Aug 29, 2007
I am a new homeowner, and have a slight problem. Bear with me if i get longwinded :blah:
The woman who owned the house before us had service through a local company. When we moved in she cancelled that service, and 5 days later, when we moved in, the pool was cloudy, green, and nasty. we took a sample to the pool supply store, and they recommended a shock treatment, when we applied the treatment, it made the pool worse. So, not knowing what else to do, we reinstated service with the same company she had used previously, about a week or so later, the pool was beautiful. We kept the service since, and recently decided that I could manage it myself. After cancelling the service, our service tech came, even though service was cancelled, on his regular day(a neighbor saw him come in). 2 days later, the pool started discoloring, becoming green. at this point i used a testing kit, purchased from the pool supply store, and all readings came back norm. now, a week after the techs unscheduled visit, i cant even see the bottom of the Dang thing, it is gross! im worried that if i repeat the whole process, shock treatments and whatnot, the pool will again get worse. HELP!!! is it possible that the tech could have done something to tamper with the pool, hoping we would call them back to reinstate service again. I refuse to do this, and would like to do it on my own. any ideas, or am i just overreacting?
Thx, from Florida

if it matters, is a 10k gallon inground, concrete pool

Ok, using my newly purchased Taylor test kit, my results are:
Free Chlor = 3 ppm
total Chlor = 3 ppm
FC -TC = CC=0
Ph =7.2
total alk = 80ppm
calcium hardness = 300ppm
Cyanuric Acid = 85ppm

i think these where all the tests i was supposed to run on the pool, my local pool store is now closed, but i will take a sample in to them on monday, while there i purchased liquid chlorine (appx 8 gallons) 2 packets of algicide (YellowTreat), and a clarifier (ClearView)

I would recommend if you plan to maintain your own pool that you invest in a good kit such as the TF-100. It will save you a lot of headaches down the road. But in the meantime have the pool store test it and post the numbers so we can get your pool sparkling. :wink:

Hi, Jack,

Welcome to the forum! If it were my pool, I would save the money and not purchase "yellow Treat" nor the clarifier.

The chlorine will clear your pool beautifully If you'll read jason's article on how to clear a green swamp up in the pool school. (just under the header)

Ask lots of questions. Very nice folks here on the forum with lots of knowledge.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.