Question about getting pool water tested at store

partypond

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 5, 2008
Frisco, Texas
Due to my wonderful test kit and this great site, I have never had my water tested at a pool store. My question is do they check for CYA on normal testing? Is it very accurate? I would like to see if their results are near mine to make sure I am reading the test right. THX :lol:

CYA is the test they are the worst at. Depending on the type of test they use, lighting is important. You need to test with the sun to your back, tube at waist level. The lighting is very different in the store. So no, don't trust a pool store o back up your tests. There are videos and pictures of how to do the tests floating around somewhere. Have you seen them?

But it's fun to mess with the pool stores!

Take a 1 qt sample, do your own tests, then add a couple of drops of MA and bleach to the remainder. Maybe even throw in some tri-sodium phosphate. Take the altered sample to your least favorite PS, then have a good laugh at what they try to sell you.

Charlie_R said:
Maybe even throw in some tri-sodium phosphate.
... I am really tempted to do this if I know a pool store will check for phosphates. I would love to see the look on their face :shock: and then realize how much phosphate remover they think they will be able to sell. And then I get to say "eh, I suppose I will just throw some bleach in" :laughblue:

It might be a good idea to "make the rounds" of any local pool stores with some pre-tested water every now and then just to get a feel for which one/s might be closest to returning correct results. Then, in the future, if for whatever reason you have the need, you'll know which (if any) you can make use of if you have to for ballpark estimates.

I wouldn't recommmend purposefully "messing" with the pool store. They are helpful for some things and it's not our way to deceive people even if it is the pool store. Besides they mess the tests up bad enough without trying to be deceitful.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bama Rambler said:
I wouldn't recommmend purposefully "messing" with the pool store. They are helpful for some things and it's not our way to deceive people even if it is the pool store. Besides they mess the tests up bad enough without trying to be deceitful.

This. And for what it's worth, the test results of the two stores near me are substantially consistent with my results.

The real problem, however, is that they don't follow the suggested chemistry levels found here. They always tell me to add baking soda to get my TA up--even when it's around 80 or 90 and could go LOWER. They even say that raising TA to their recommended levels will help "lock in" my pH and prevent pH from rising. The opposite is true.

They don't acknowledge the CYA/Chlorine relationship we follow. They simply say to keep your chlorine between 1-3 ppm. And they always freak out about my phosphates. One time the person looked terrified after the phosphate test and asked me how my water looked. I just smiled and said it was perfect. He was shocked and skeptical. He still tried to sell me some phosphate remover.

I'm not that mean, I won't go out of my way to mess with them. Best revenge is to convert as many people as possible. The TSP water is just a funny thought, not an actual plan :wink:

TFP recognizes the temptation to "get even" with the pool stores but we would don't want to encourage others to do it. (We're just no fun, are we. :( )

Many, many pool store people do what they do out of ignorance rather than any malice. Their education comes solely from the chemical suppliers.

TFP suggests we just leave them alone.

Besides, everyone should spend their free time re-reading Pool School because you just never know when a pop quiz could appear on this forum and you need to be ready. :shock:

Yes, Dave, I do agree that messing with most pool stores may not be a good idea. I put that out there in jest. I really wouldn't want someone to actually do it, but just the thought of it is funny.

So bring on the pop quiz!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.