Is there a way to make molded non-cuffed hoses not leak?

Jun 4, 2013
B.A. Okla.
I just got my solar panel from amazon yesterday and hooked it up to its own dedicated pump with some cheap non-cuffed hoses I had from before. They leak just exactly like they used to. Clamping them tighter seems to make them leak faster!

I've tried teflon tape with zero luck. Had a lot better luck with electric tape on the nipple the hose slips over but still slightly leaking on the output of the pump, the inlet of the panel + the outlet of the panel.

On my filter/pump setup I used to use these hoses and hated all the leaks, I bought some cuffed ones from the pool store and that fixed it right up. But I can't spend an extra $40 right now on those if there's a way to make these cheap ones work better short of siliconing them in place.

edit: hoses like these are what I'm trying to make work
http://www.qualityinflatables.com/summe ... e-kit.html

In my experience :hammer: there is no good reliable way to seal on the corrugated parts of those hoses. You might want to look at "discharge hose" found at many home centers, usually the pipe is black and they have molded cuffs. They can work in a pinch, though I don't think they are rated for much pressure.

linen said:
In my experience :hammer: there is no good reliable way to seal on the corrugated parts of those hoses. You might want to look at "discharge hose" found at many home centers, usually the pipe is black and they have molded cuffs. They can work in a pinch, though I don't think they are rated for much pressure.

I'm not clamping on the actual corrugated part, it has smooth ends for the clamp. For now I've found the looser I clamp it, the less it leaks so it's clamped kind of loose and I have twine tied around one corrugation and then tied tight back around the fitting on the pump to keep the tube from popping off. I may try some steel wire instead of twine there until I find a better tubing solution.

Going to see what I can see at home depot and lowes at lunch today. I wish the sun would come out so I could see what the panel actually does!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.