Quote for Baltimore City pool - could I get some input?

Jul 22, 2013
Baltimore, MD
I think I'll be having a couple of quotes coming in over the next few days, but I'd love to get some input on this. Sorry, it is so long.

We're in Baltimore City, and have some fun ahead of us - zoning variance to install the pool on the side instead of our back yard, neighborhood historical approval, city historical approval, and then city permit.

This is a 36x18 rectangle sports pool with "angular form" with a bench and steps jutting off the sides. There are a few details that still need to be nailed down, that are not in this quote, and I have sent a few questions to this particular PB as well. I do want to see if it's possible to have part of the pool be raised bond beam so that there is additional seating (and I like the look).

The depths will be 3.5 --> 5.5 --> 4 or 4.5. I would like sand, salt, LEDs, and have ended up wanting a couple of extras - deck jets (maybe) and therapy jets. No heater, and things can be phased. This quote is for gunnite (thinking about black onyx pebble sheen), but I want to get at least 1-2 other gunnite quotes and 1-2 vinyl quotes too.

I would really like patios and pool to be under $60K, so that we can separately do the fence (split rail for 3/4, iron for 1/4), and am thinking longingly about a northern screen enclosure/DynaDome - but those will be phase 2 or 3.

OK, here goes:

Standard Base Pool Package 36'x18' (650 sq ft) $33,750
Deep-end bench included
Steps per design ("Wedding cake style") included
(3) series post construction orientation program and first year opening/closing included
Standard selections water line tile included
Standard selections bullnose brick/paver coping or equivalent included
White Marblite plaster interior finish included (+$10/sq ft to upgrade to Pebble Sheen, so $6500)
Polaris 280 $1175 (asked to change this to Polaris 3900 robot)
Initial water fill $1000
Electrical (includes 100' run from existing house panel to pool equipment) $2125
Pentair IntelliChlor salt chlorine generator $700
Bio Guard mineral springs beginnings initial salt program $700
Winter Mesh Cover $2600

Standard base pool package includes:
Construction and engineering plans
building and electrical permits
inspections
grading and blending dirt spoils (we're on a hill - this will be helpful)
3/8" rebar to be 12" on center
4 perimeter bars on bond beam for reinforcement
grounding and bonding
2" PVC Schedule 40 lines
Plumbing lines to run inside and under gunite shell in pool area
plumbing lines to run outside of shell are on a direct line from a single point to the equipment pad
Jandy never-lube schedule 80 valves
2 main drains
2 skimmers
2 returns
Gunite - minimum of 6" on pool floor, 14" bond beam around perimeter or pool shell, up to 3000 psi strength rating
Sta-rite system 3 cartridge filter
Sta-rite 1 hp dyna-pro filter pump
1 500 w incandescent light
Intermatic dual timer electrical panel

Options I'm interested in:
Upgrade to Intelliflo VS Pump $1575
IntelliBrite LED color changing light (each) $1150
EasyTouch 8 $1995
ScreenLogic Mobile Touch $995
(4) deck jets with separate pump $1395
(4) spa air jets in deep end bench $1500

Warranties - 3 years on pump, filter, automation, tile and coping, 5 year on pebble

I know some of this looks high. I asked about buying my own intellibrites from Amazon, for instance, and he said they wouldn't be able to warranty them then. I also mentioned my concerns about the pipes going under the pool.

So this is just pool - for patio (without prices yet), I'm looking at around 750 ft sq of permeable patio with flagstones and we'll plant creeping, low-growing plants, 550 sq ft of stained concrete, and then we're looking at 1600 sq ft of flat grass (which we can plant) - we're trying to get rid of all our other grass, it's just weird to be thinking about encouraging it to grow!

Thanks,
Elsa

toofast - OK, well that is good to hear, thank you for your quick response. I wasn't sure if I needed VS with the pool, deck jets, and therapy jets (if we got all 3) - I wasn't sure if I could run them all off the same pump or not, or if that is completely unrelated. I think the PB is coming back on Saturday to shoot elevations so we can see if what I want to do is feasible, so I'll ask about 2 speed instead of VS.

I had been surprised how reasonable the base was, but how expensive the options seemed - they started to add up very quickly!

Based on the quotes I have gotten in New England those prices seem pretty good, better than the ones I have gotten, that is for sure.

I am doing a bigger pool, a spill over spa, and some other stuff, but your quote looks fair to me.

Gruk - we're still looking and have to get a couple more quotes. I'd be interested to hear things from your perspective too. We've talked with Johnson, Browning, Catalina, Town and Country, Lothorian, and Hohne so far. That sounds like a lot, but we don't have that many official quotes yet.

Elsa

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.