DE Replacement After Backflush

How much replacement DE should I be adding back into the system after I backflush? I've asked the same question of 5 different folks at the pool company that installed my pool and git 5 different answers. They told by neighbor (same pool installer) another answer altogether. Is there a good rule of thumb?

That helps. It looks like we have a 36 so according to the book it takes 3.6 pounds of DE at startup or 57.6oz. To replace 80% would be 46oz. I have a 12 oz scoop so it would take just under 4 scoops after backflush. That seems to make sense to me now. HOWEVER, as I was looking for the model number on the filter I found on the sticker it says Freshwater Only. I have a saltwater pool. Can that be right?

Yeah, that can be right.

You don't truly have a saltwater pool. You have a freshwater pool with a little salt in it. When they warn against a "saltwater" pool, they're talking about an ocean water level salt.

LOL isn't learning all this stuff fun! How long have you had your pool? Have you taken your DE filter apart and cleaned it yet? Did you note the clean pressure on the filter so you'll know when to backwash again?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I took it apart a week and a half ago and gave it a very good cleaning. I now have a good idea of what the clean pressure should be so knowing when to actually backflush should be a little more clear.

As far as the age of our pool it's new this summer and the process with the installer has been extremely painful. Started the install last September and were still working out issues as of this week. I could write a paper on all the issues we've had. If I had a magic rewind button I probably wouldn't have done it to be completely honest. I've never seen an industry so full of incompetence in all my life. I know that's a sweeping generalization but where I live it's definitely the case.

Aspfam said:
I took it apart a week and a half ago and gave it a very good cleaning. I now have a good idea of what the clean pressure should be so knowing when to actually backflush should be a little more clear.

As far as the age of our pool it's new this summer and the process with the installer has been extremely painful. Started the install last September and were still working out issues as of this week. I could write a paper on all the issues we've had. If I had a magic rewind button I probably wouldn't have done it to be completely honest. I've never seen an industry so full of incompetence in all my life. I know that's a sweeping generalization but where I live it's definitely the case.

Not really. It seems the case all over, and the amount of misinformation and lack of knowledge is truly staggering sometimes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.