pizza ovens

I've been trolling that site too; I plan on making a small pizza oven when I can find the time and materials. I plan on constructing a form and using refractory concrete instead of nearly impossible to find, and very expensive, fire bricks.

I have a friend who has a pizza oven, and they use theirs at least several times a month if not more. It just depends on your personal cooking habits, I suppose.

pool mum said:
I've been trolling that site too; I plan on making a small pizza oven when I can find the time and materials. I plan on constructing a form and using refractory concrete instead of nearly impossible to find, and very expensive, fire bricks.

I have a friend who has a pizza oven, and they use theirs at least several times a month if not more. It just depends on your personal cooking habits, I suppose.

I can't make my mind up how often we'd use it. We eat homemade pizza probably 4-6 times a month. I love wood fired pizza but not sure if I'd have the patience to start a fire an hour before (or whatever is required). That being said, it takes me an hour to make and prove the dough so maybe that's no excuse.

One of these has been on my bucket list for awhile. For those who make their own pizza, I've been lucky enough to be handed down an old family recipe for the dough. It's pretty simple, tastes great and puffs up around the edges like any pizza that you get from a good pizza joint.

The secret is "cake flour". For every two cups of all-purpose flour add one cup of "cake flour". My usual batch is 4 cups of all-purpose, 2 cups of cake, two packages of yeast and about 2 cups of water. For a good Sicilian pie, I make a "sponge" first. After proofing the yeast, add just enough flour to all your water to make a batter. Let that double, punch down and add the rest of your flour to make the dough. Let rise again, punch down and put in pan. I don't like it too thick so I let the dough rise in the pan for another half hour or so (not quite doubling the volume).

Having a Sicilian mother has its advantages and its disadvantages. I always went to bed with a belly full of great food but sometimes had to sleep with one eye open after a major screw-up. :sleep: :shock: :sleep: :shock:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'll have to try that. No sugar or salt?

I adapted one over time. It yields two pizzas so I normally make one up and the other I wrap in plastic wrap and it keeps 3 days in the fridge, no problem.

3.5 cups Bread Fluor
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp sea salt
1 envelope yeast
1-1.5 cups warm water
Extra Virgin Olive Oil - I normally add probably 1/2 cup or more as that's what I like. I think the original recipe is like 2 tbsps.

400 deg - takes about 12 mins.

cbink said:
pool mum said:

I can't make my mind up how often we'd use it. We eat homemade pizza probably 4-6 times a month. I love wood fired pizza but not sure if I'd have the patience to start a fire an hour before (or whatever is required). That being said, it takes me an hour to make and prove the dough so maybe that's no excuse.

It does take a while to get the fire going and then let it die down to coals - at least an hour if not more. We currently have a weber grill and I sometimes burn chunks of oak in it to cook on, and it takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r for those wood chunks to burn down. I'd use mine more for smoking or slow roasting meats. We're not huge pizza eaters; maybe a twice a month, and that's mostly because we have teens.

I used my Vision Kamado grill to bake a pizza this week (gluten free no less). It was simple and it made the best crust I have had in a while. I had the fire in the 500 range before cooking and brought it down to the 450 per the instructions. I pre-heated the pizza stone on the top grill. I made some jalapeno popper at the same time.

After having this grill for a few months, I don't think I could justify having a dedicated pizza oven when I can easily and quickly get a Kamado up to temp for pizza and cook them one at a time in 10 minutes or less each.

I got my kamado for $399 this summer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.