Jun 14, 2008
Ok! I'm new to the forum. I was pointed towards this site a few days ago and have learned alot from this and poolforum.com. I just recently opened my pool and have put in an algaecide (before I viewed these sites) I have been using regular 6% bleach instead of pool store chlorine. Seems to be working good.
My challenge is, my water was clearing up to the point where I could see the bottom and needed to vaccum up algae and pine needles leaves etc. (We did try the skim the bottom of the deep end best we could to get as much from the bottom as possible. I do have a mesh cover, but I don't think it fits properly and some stuff blows under in winter, we live in midwest) After vaccuming what I could see, I superclorinated, needed to according to reading. Later that night, I added a superfloc thinking it would help settle the pool and clear up cloudiness. The directions said to run pool on recirculate and add to skimmers run for 2 hours. Did this, and when I went to turn off pump for the evening and let pool sit ovenite(per instructions) I had this nasty scum like floating on top and water was very murky at this point. I let it sit overnite hoping it would settle, but it does not seem to be any different. It is worse now than before I added floc. What in the heck did I do? Was it from recirculating water? My readings are: Chlorine 3.0, PH 7.6, TA 180 (a little High) CYA, not sure, used a stick, says low. Was at around 110 yesterday before vaccuming on waste. Any help would be appreciated! I have had a few problems this year( replacing impeller seal, o ring around pump basket, replacing fuses clearing up water) and am ready to give up. Need to get this pool cleared up!

Relax, you've come to the right place.

Your CYA was 110? And now the strips say low? Is that right?

Can you post what type of pump/filter equipment you have?

What is your FC and CC?

~Edit~duh... :sleep:

Honestly, the first thing you should do is get a good test kit. You can get the TF-100 or a good taylor kit. You need one that can test for these things, and the strips really are unreliable...

Yes, according to the color on strip, it was around 110. I have an in ground vinyl liner rectangular pool. I have a hayward super pump. I use a 4 way test kit and apparently I need to get the better kit, I assume it is only available online.
Since my kit does not tesy CYA, I am using the test strips.

Oh, my FC is around 3.0 and CC I'm not sure. My test kit doesn't show exact reading for this, it just says if there is a big change in color after 1-2 minutes, need superclorination. Yesterday there was, so I shocked it (12 bottles of regular 6% bleach) Today there was not much color change. I know this will be hard b/c of the test kit I use. I will look for new one right away.

Any chance you can get to the pool store today and have them test your water? The strips are soooo unreliable.

http://www.tftestkits.com/

I highly recommend it and you will have personal response from "Duraleigh" on here with questions, and many of the forum users have this kit and we can help you with questions.

okay, then you had some CC's the first time and now you may not...hmmmm. If you can get to the pool store, have them run a complete set. You can compare your results to theirs.

Oh and you also need some POP - Pool Owner Patience. These things will work themselves out, you are already on the right track by being here at TFP.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.