safe chlorine levels

Not sure how you got your CYA level reading of 106 as readings from the test are in increments of 10, 100 being the maximum that it will result to, but given a CYA of 100, safe levels are no lower than 7.

Do you *trust* the pool stores testing?

Pool store employees may or may not have my best interests in mind when performing this task. Worst case scenario- they might deliberately lead me astray to make a sale of some odd chemical addition. Best case scenario- they might just be barely trained and have no clue what they're doing or how to interpret the results.

I trust my own using a good test kit like my TF-100 far more than a pool store's test.

Capisce?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
oh yeah!! I dont trust them at all .I have been doing the test myself in the past and unfortunately it has hung right in the 100 range. I have not been using any chemicals including powdered chlorine that would change that so I would guess thats not too far off. I just want to make sure that Im not putting my grandchildren at risk by letting them swim at high chlorine levels.

just ordered refill for CYA testing. In the event that I do need to keep my chlorine levels at 8 would it be reasonable to say thet I would use about a gallon of 12% bleach a day? That seems to be about what I am using right now. the pool is in full sunlight all day although there hasn't been much sun lately.

I agree with duraleigh. At a cya of 80% and targeting 8 ppm as a minimum, I would expect less than 1/2 gallon per day if nothing was growing in the pool. Of course if the swimmer load is quite high each day, or if you are getting a lot of organic debris that isn't removed from the pool promptly then your usage can go up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.