Brand New Pool Fails the Bucket Test?

Sep 2, 2008
I have a brand new pool still under construction. I filled it just last Sat for the first time ever. It was awesome watching it come to life. At 3a it was full.

But then I got up and went to show my wife at 8a and it was just below the tile line (2 inches lower than "full" over night).

Days later, I still find myself adding 2 1/2 - 3 inches worth of water each day. I read last night to try the bucket test. This morning the bucket reduction was under 1/4" for 12 hours (overnight) and the pool had lost about 1 1/8" of water.

I asked my pool company - at first I got a standard reply that "all pools loose water to evaporation" but upon giving them the results of the bucket test they said they'll "take a look". I'm witholding the final payment for now.

Anyone able to comfort me into thinking this is something they can resolve? Quickly? Easily?

________
FYI - pool is 14,000 gallons. Roughly 385 sq ft surface. Temp = 105* at 7p. Temp = 81* at 7a. Depth is 3.5 x 4 x 5. Live in Fort Worth.

Think we need more details...in ground we assume ?

How is it constructed ? Did you check the pumps, etc...that is a common place. Or are their not pump yet, etc.

Did they do a pressure test before they backfilled, etc. ?

More details please...

It can be resolved quickly though...or maybe not.

As mentioned above we need to know more. However, whatever it is won't be a concern for you. At this point it's the PB's problem. So whatever it is will be fixed. Hopefully it's a simple plumbing problem.

Well, you at least helped prevent me from freaking out.

Yes, its an in-ground gunnite pool. None of the pumps have been turned on yet. They were going to enable them today for the first time but decided to wait another day so they could do the bucket test themselves. I had been adding water every day because I didn't want the water to fall below the tile. Apparently that wasn't good for the acid bath its in and they want another day just to be sure of everything.

He did tell me it could be something as simple as a skimmer or light not being fully sealed. They didn't make a big deal of it but said they were going to do a pressure test tomorrow on the plumbing and then a die-test if the pressure test doesn't give helpful results.

They submitted my final bill to me. I presume I should hold payment until the pool actually works, right? Seems like a no-brainer.

Since it's gunite, it's probably not the shell leaking. So it's probably going to be something minor.

I would hold payment until it's proven leak free and all the equipment has been thouroughly tested. In fact, I'd give it a day after the repair and run another bucket test and then cut the check.

You should hold the final payment until you are satisfied with the pool. Do you best to keep things friendly and polite, even if they get a little testy with you, and document everything that is said and done about the pool if you haven't already. Take lots of pictures as well. Even if you don't need this information to argue your point with the builder, it can be handy to have in the future.

As Bama said, it is probably not a difficult repair. Has the decking been poured yet?

Thanks for the great advice. Yup, deck was poured. They made it sound like it was probably something small. I did see a bubble come from a pipe earlier today. I'd bet the pressure test will find something. I feel more confident but I will let them know I'm going to hold the payment until we've reached the milestone. I really appreciate ya'll helping me. Sounds like 1-2 inches of loss per week is normal from evaporation. I was done 1/4 inch this morning in 90 minutes... so the important part is that they acknowledge a problem.

We didn't pay the final payment until after "pool school". Pool school occurred about 1 week after pool was actually up and running. During that week they had to replace the pool automation main computer board. That was when the pool builder justified why he waits a little while before considering everything "done". He had us run the pump 24/7 for that week. I don't know if the board was actually broken or not, but the fix was to "swap it with a new one".

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There are many possible places, such as:

1) Plumbing
2) Light conduit
3) Hydrostat
4) Plaster or grout seal around fittings, skimmers etc.

If the plumbing checks out, then you might need a diver.

Do you have floor returns, or wall returns, or both?

Do you have an in-floor cleaning system?

...amazing, this is what they suggested in that same order. Plumbers are coming out today. They'll send a diver down on Monday to check lights and returns if plumbing isn't successful. You guys really are quite helpful. Thank you very much.

If you hit groundwater on the dig, then I would suspect the hydrostat. Groundwater can open the hydrostat. It will usually reseal, but sometimes sand or other debris will prevent it from resealing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.