Chlorine Tabs in pump?

jsun

Jun 13, 2008
Hello, I'm new to the site.

We just purchased a house with an inground pool
Sta-rite Dyna-glas pump with Cartridge filter

The previous owners put chlorine tabs in the pump basket but now the basket is brittle and broken; is this the best way to get chlorine into the system?

the local pool store tried to sell me a Pool Frog system; we don't currently have a chlorinator; any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

NO frog!!!!

Bleach. Read the BBB for beginners and the ABC's of pool chemistry. Check out Pool school.

Post any and all questions here, along with your water test results and pool equipment. The pool guru's here will not steer you wrong.

If a pool store tries to sell you The Frog, Run don't walk, out the door.

TRUST me.

jsun said:

The previous owners put chlorine tabs in the pump basket but now the basket is brittle and broken; is this the best way to get chlorine into the system?

the local pool store tried to sell me a Pool Frog system; we don't currently have a chlorinator; any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tabs in the pump basket is a very bad idea. Never heard of anyone doing that before.

Denali said:
jsun said:

Tabs in the pump basket is a very bad idea. Never heard of anyone doing that before.

Mmmhhhmm. yeah, I assumed it was the skimmer basket....?

The pucks are acidic and can cause the baskets to degrade, crack and break apart... plus I've read that it can cause pump/filter problems. :shock:

I use to use a floater.

If the pump wasn't running with those pucks in there, that plastic basket was being eaten away and that's probably the reason why it broke.

The main problem occurs while your pump is turned off. The pucks continue to dissolve in the water, creating an area of VERY acidic and corrosive water/chemical mixture around the pump and filter. The previous owners of our house had a puck feeder installed near the pump and also kept pucks in the skimmer basket. This resulted in a) the pump impeller disintegrated b) the spider gasket in the multiport valve dissolved and c) the skimmer basket crumbled. The grids in the DE filter were also extremely brittle and breaking, but I don't know if they are supposed to last more than 7 years or not. :(

We don't use tabs any longer, just liquid bleach. After I removed the puck feeder we just used a puck floater for one summer, as the CYA needed to come up anyway. Now we're BBB'd and TFP'd. 8)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.