Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine Tabs in pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine Tabs in pump?

Hello, I'm new to the site.

We just purchased a house with an inground pool
    Sta-rite Dyna-glas pump with Cartridge filter

The previous owners put chlorine tabs in the pump basket but now the basket is brittle and broken; is this the best way to get chlorine into the system?

the local pool store tried to sell me a Pool Frog system; we don't currently have a chlorinator; any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    20k gal, vinyl, Sta-rite 1 HP Dyna-Glas pump, Sta-rite System 3 300 Sq ft. Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine Tabs in pump?

NO frog!!!!

Bleach. Read the BBB for beginners and the ABC's of pool chemistry. Check out Pool school.

Post any and all questions here, along with your water test results and pool equipment. The pool guru's here will not steer you wrong.

If a pool store tries to sell you The Frog, Run don't walk, out the door.

TRUST me.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jsun

The previous owners put chlorine tabs in the pump basket but now the basket is brittle and broken; is this the best way to get chlorine into the system?

the local pool store tried to sell me a Pool Frog system; we don't currently have a chlorinator; any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Tabs in the pump basket is a very bad idea. Never heard of anyone doing that before.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Denali
    Quote Originally Posted by jsun

Tabs in the pump basket is a very bad idea. Never heard of anyone doing that before.
    Mmmhhhmm. yeah, I assumed it was the skimmer basket....?
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

5. Back To Top    #5

No, directly in the pump basket; would the skimmer basket be a better/more acceptable idea?
    20k gal, vinyl, Sta-rite 1 HP Dyna-Glas pump, Sta-rite System 3 300 Sq ft. Cartridge Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Some people do it and have no problems; I don't like chlorine tabs at all, prefer liquid bleach because it doesn't add CYA to your pool.

7. Back To Top    #7

The pucks are acidic and can cause the baskets to degrade, crack and break apart... plus I've read that it can cause pump/filter problems.

I use to use a floater.

If the pump wasn't running with those pucks in there, that plastic basket was being eaten away and that's probably the reason why it broke.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

The main problem occurs while your pump is turned off. The pucks continue to dissolve in the water, creating an area of VERY acidic and corrosive water/chemical mixture around the pump and filter. The previous owners of our house had a puck feeder installed near the pump and also kept pucks in the skimmer basket. This resulted in a) the pump impeller disintegrated b) the spider gasket in the multiport valve dissolved and c) the skimmer basket crumbled. The grids in the DE filter were also extremely brittle and breaking, but I don't know if they are supposed to last more than 7 years or not.

We don't use tabs any longer, just liquid bleach. After I removed the puck feeder we just used a puck floater for one summer, as the CYA needed to come up anyway. Now we're BBB'd and TFP'd. 8)
    26,000 Gallon Gunnite IGP
    2 HP Challenger High Head Pump
    60sf Nautilus DE filter
    Polaris 280

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

The only way that would be ok is if you ran the pump 24 hrs a day. It's when the pump shuts off that you have a problem. The water will turn into acid an corrode your equipment.
    John

16 X 32 X 5.5 Indoor Vinyl
    Hayward S220T Sand w/ 1 HP Superpump
    Auto Brominator
    Dual Solar/Oil fired heat exchangers