New here, in Oklahoma, got really cloudy pool.

Aug 4, 2013
Oklahoma
Been fighting this cloud. We are new to pools. We just bought this house 3 months ago and have been fighting with the pool ever since. We've spent about $1500.00 on chemicals, following pool store instructions. I'm now desperate to stop the bleeding. i'm staying on top of it. I'm watching my chemical levels really close. Still have a cloud I can't seem to get rid of. We haven't seen the bottom of the pool for over two months.
Pool is 30,000 gallons. Sand filter, new sand last month.
Algae bloom two months ago. Blue cloudy water now.
I will do a new set of chemical tests and post the results. I just got home from work.

Jonette2 said:
Been fighting this cloud. We are new to pools. We just bought this house 3 months ago and have been fighting with the pool ever since. We've spent about $1500.00 on chemicals, following pool store instructions. I'm now desperate to stop the bleeding. i'm staying on top of it. I'm watching my chemical levels really close. Still have a cloud I can't seem to get rid of. We haven't seen the bottom of the pool for over two months.
Pool is 30,000 gallons. Sand filter, new sand last month.
Algae bloom two months ago. Blue cloudy water now.
I will do a new set of chemical tests and post the results. I just got home from work.

Welcome to TFP Jonette! :wave:

We will help you stop the blood letting from the Pool Store. It is something some of us thrive on. Post those numbers and we will get you pointed in the right direction. When you have a chance, Check out the ABC's of pool chemistry in Pool School. Take a bite at a time at your own pace, and let us know if you have questions. Again, welcome to the Forum.

Welcome! :wave:

It is good to hear you are getting off the pool store Merry-Go-Round. Too bad you didn't jump off hundreds of dollars ago.

We can help you clear the mess, but since we aren't there to test it, you'll have to do it for us. Post up some test results, and how you got them. Pool Store testing and test strip results are not acceptable.

Did lab tests. HTH 6way test kit. I know it's not the kit u want me to use but with all the money I've spent, I have to have a bit to recover before I get the new test kit.
Here's the results.
Chlorine =2
PH=7.2
ALK=270?
HARDNESS=490?
ALSO MY CYA test kit is missing part of it, so I can't do that at the moment.
I've added DE to my filter this morning for the first time ever. I'm hoping it will get some particulate matter out. I am at work till 11pm so I can't do anything to the pool till after that. I dont think the Alk and the hardness numbers are accurate because it is the first time I ever used that part of my test kit and am not sure i did it right. I will retest after I get home tonight.

Well that's ok, and its best to re-run if you aren't certain of a result. TA is high but I don't want you to focus on it right now as the chlorine should be first. Do you know if you've used much product containing CYA? I imagine you have, but hopefully you know. That number really is important for chlorine adjustment. If you are cloudy, and you likely do have CYA in the water, low chlorine could certainly be the clouding issue. Reason being that you are still in, or at the verge of an algae bloom, and you have never actually beaten it. Hard to say for certain, but very likely. Do you know the pool volume? If so please post it, and modify your signature with all info about your pool type and size. The pH is a little low too but leave it alone for now as it is just right for completing a SLAM (Shock Level and Maintain Process). If there is any way you can get a CYA number, it would be most helpful.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jonette2 said:
I already said earlier in this thread that pool volume is 30,000 gallons. I will work on getting my CYA reading.

Missed it....didn't re-read so my bad, sorry. Trying to help you here, please don't bite my head off.

I would initiate a SLAM process if it were my pool and I would use bleach to do it. I would absolutely not use calcium hypo chlorite at all. I would not use di-chlor, or tri chlor until I knew about my CYA level. Never good to guess at CYA, but I would estimate 50 PPM and raise the FC to shock level for that. Use the Pool Calculator to determine the dosage. The links below will get you all the info you need on this process. The next best thing you can do is read up on the ABC's of Pool Chemistry in Pool School.

pool-school/shocking_your_pool

pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

http://www.poolcalculator.com/

I wasn't trying to snap at you. I'm at work and had only a second to reply. I was in a hurry. Busy in surgery. I'll test again at home.II'll use the pool calculator to figure out how much. I'll get an actual CYA test done.

Welcome to tfp, Jonette2 :wave:

Jonette2 said:
I have been using clarifier each day as per some ones direction at swim university.
The worst thing you can do is mix advice. Often we have to tell posters that if they try and follow pool store advice and tfp advice that is a recipe for failure. In your case, if you follow "swim university" advice and tfp advice you will also not be successful. Choose one or the other but not both.

Jonette2 said:
I'm just trying to get my pool clear. I'm going crazy. I'll stop with the other advice. My neighbors have very clear pools and mine has been terrible for so long. Ugh.
Then, as suggested above your best next step is to get an appropriate test kit: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison Many of us have the tf-100 since that is the best value. When you get your kit, then you can get a reliable measure for your cyanuric acid (cya) level and from that we can get you started on the SLAM process: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support