Do I Have a Leak?

Jun 16, 2013
Massachusetts
I have recently just noticed that I had lost some water and it seems more than usual. I tying to figure out whats going by monitoring the water level and isolating each zone (i.e. skimmer, main drain etc..) trying to figure out if there is a leak and if so, where it maybe coming from. i just wanted some advice from you all on what's the best way to figure this out. I just bought my home and this is the first year that I'm running the pool. I noticed by the main drain there is what appears to drain with a stopper in it (similar to one in a bathtub). Not sure what this is, but I figure its a drain to empty the pool? Any idea what this may be?

What I was wondering if there would be any conclusive signs from the filtration system or chemical readings that may indicate a leak? I figured if there was a leak in any of the lines, the pressure in filter gauge would be low?? Or an indication in the levels of CYA or salt as it should be going down? Which in my case its not happening.

I'm going to dive down and check the stopper at the bottom to make sure its firmly secured? Any ideas or advice? I'm freaking out a bit as I imagine this would be a costly repair if there is a leak somewhere.

I had two leaks last year...here's how I figured it out (with the help of this forum). With the pump OFF, and the water VERY still, use a small bottle of food coloring in squeeze bottle (pick a color that's easy to see). Work your way around the pool, testing at the returns, and the front and back of the skimmer, as well as basically any opening (vacuum ports, lights, etc). If you see even slight movement of the food coloring into any of these areas, it's probably a leak. If you don't see anything suspect, try this around your main drain as well. I saved this part till the end because I don't have scuba gear and being perfectly still down at the bottom was challenging.

My main drain wasn't leaking, but the skimmer gasket was. I also had a cracked return line that I had to dig up and replace this year. I was easily losing 1/2 inch of water a day. Now I think I've only had to add water once to my pool this summer...of course it's also been a wet summer. :)

Best of luck, I'm sure people more knowledgeable than me will chime in soon!

Try a "bucket test" first. Fill a bucket with pool water, to the same level as your pool when you set the bucket on a step. Mark the water line inside and outside the bucket, and leave it for a day or two. Note any difference between the two lines.

I discovered the return leak with the food coloring method. A drop of food coloring in the still water right in front of the return (eyeball) was slowly pulled into the return opening. To confirm it wasn't some weird water movement related to the pump/filter, I disconnected the return line from the filter, did the food coloring again, and got the same result. The food coloring dropped in front of the other (non-leaking) return gave a good comparison. I double confirmed this by plugging this return and doing the bucket test overnight. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.