First test with Taylor kit, now how to fix this mess

Aug 4, 2013
Georgia
Okay, I just received my Taylor K2006 today and performed the test. I have been battling cloudy water pretty much all summer,and I believe I was having black algae. I know it's uncommon for vinyl pools but after doing a lot of reading on it, I think that's what I had/have. I overloaded my pool on bleach and and brushed several times a day until my test kit came in to try and kill it and prevent further damage. This is what mybtests yielded. Someone please help me.

Free Chlorine -8
Combined Chlorine - 1
PH 7.2
Alkalinity 200
CYA -45

Yes I know FC looks unbelievable but it literally took 40 drops to get it to turn from pink to clear. Now I'm agitated that Im gonna need another refill after using it once. Pls help

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Actualy your FC does not look high enough. According to the CYA/FC chart in Pool School: pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock
you should be up around 20ppm to effectively SLAM the pool. [slam:2j14gzds][/slam:2j14gzds]

BTW, use a 10ml sample for the FAS-DPD test so each drop is 0.5ppm, you do not need more accuracy than that.

This is also why we recommend the TF-100 test kit over the K-2006 ... you get more of the reagents you actually need. You should order refills now: tftestkits.net

SouthernClass said:
Okay, I just received my Taylor K2006 today and performed the test. I have been battling cloudy water pretty much all summer,and I believe I was having black algae. I know it's uncommon for vinyl pools but after doing a lot of reading on it, I think that's what I had/have. I overloaded my pool on bleach and and brushed several times a day until my test kit came in to try and kill it and prevent further damage. This is what mybtests yielded. Someone please help me.

Free Chlorine -8
Combined Chlorine - 1
PH 7.2
Alkalinity 200
CYA -45

Yes I know FC looks unbelievable but it literally took 40 drops to get it to turn from pink to clear. Now I'm agitated that Im gonna need another refill after using it once. Pls help
Welcome! :wave:

The short answer is to SLAM the pool.

As an aside, if you use only 10 ml sample, each drop is .5, which is close enough for what you're doing and saves reagents. You can order refills with superfast shipping here, although if you look at the TF100 refills, you'll see they are larger sizes. Same stuff, they just don't fit in the case so nice.

Unless you're using trichlor pucks or dichlor shock, you don't need to check CYA too often. It should stay close unless you get a whole lot of rain or do a whole lot of backwashing.

Buy suspiciously large quantities of bleach and follow the SLAM process to the letter starting now and by the end of the weekend, I'll bet your pool is clearer than it has been since it was filled. Before you ask - it's safe to swim up to shock level.

First off I want to thank everyone for replying. I noticed after I ordered the K2006 that the T100 would have been better so should I just order the T100 or should I get refills for the K2006, I don't mind on spending the money as long as it is worth it. Unfortunately it has been raining since earlier today so my CYA reading has probably moved again. I will recheck tomorrow before starting the slam process.
As far as what issues I'm having it is just very cloudy and I believe I have a black algae problem, although I did pour a whole bottle of bleach in a day for 4 days straight and brush, up until yesterday.
So I guess I will go stock up on more bleach tomorrow and start slamming it. However what should I do after that is cleared. Isn't some of my other readings off a little bit?

SouthernClass said:
However what should I do after that is cleared. Isn't some of my other readings off a little bit?
Nope, you're reading to start dumping jugs. Your CYA and CH levels aren't so high that a partial drain is called for, pH is good, let 'er rip.

High CH and high CYA are dealt with by draining and refilling. Everything else is easy to fine tune - it can all be done in a couple hours once the pool is clear. That's the time-consuming part.

[center:1p7ljos8]
file.php
[/center:1p7ljos8]

edit: fixed link

The K-2006 is fine, just not as much reagents. I would just order some refills for the FAS-DPD and CYA tests from tftestkits.net now so you do not run out.

The TA is a little high, but that is nothing to worry about until later ... and not even something really worry about.

Do you have the intex cartridge filter? That could be part of the problem. I would suggest searching the forum and order either the Filbur or Unicel replacement cartridge instead of using the disposable Intex ones.

SouthernClass,

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Please do some more reading before you SLAM. YOur first posts indicate a lack of understanding just where your test results are supposed to be and how you will get them there. The SLAM process involves VERY accurate dosing and testing to clear your pool properly and have crystal clear water. You cannot simply dump chlorine in the pool without testing and dosing and understanding why you are doing it.

You have a great kit that will give you the precision you need but you have to gain the knowledge of pool water chemistry so you will understand how to dose and why you are dosing to the levels we suggest.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School

read "SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain" in the How To section of Pool School. Failure to follow this process precisely will likely result in failure to turn your pool crystal clear.

I have been testing and adding since the beginning of my post which was yesterday morning. Actually before that I was adding 1 to 2 gallons a day just to give me some type higher chlorine until my test kit came. I am going to town today for more bleach. I started with 6 gallons yesterday and now down to 1. Plus I have been brushing 5 or 6 times a day. I don't think I should vacuum because since it is ran thru my hose it adds water to my pool and I don't want to throw off my levels during slamming. I just tested and my FC is 26 and my CC is .5... My question is, once my CC is holding at .5 is that an indication that this is working and I'm coming to an end. My pool is not clear yet so I am not performing an OCLT or whatever the abbreviation is yet. I did reorder some regents and hope they are here today or tomorrow. I am hoping I can get hubby to learn the test kit that way we both can stay on top of this. I need this pool clear by Wednesday because I start fall semester. So after that I won't be brushing that much and testing several times a day. Plus I'm mentally exhausted over this pool. So some encouraging words would be nice. My husband is not happy about all the money we have spent(like I'm just joyed over it) but that is why I took the leap of faith and converted to BBB. I have been stalking this site for a few months and finally decided to become part of it and take control of my pool. So is tgere a chance I could be free and clear by Wednesday? I am crazy busy, I go to school full time have 3 kids that are involved in extra curricular, plus I am building a reef aquarium and having to cycle my tank is a daily process of testing replacing water every day etc. I will try to take pics of pool in a few minutes and post them here. Any help is appreciated. I love this site and will be becoming a supporter soon. Thanks guys :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The CC's will probably vary some throught the SLAM, so .5 CC is not a dead guarantee but rather a pretty good indicator that you are making progress.

Pool Clear by Wednesday? Hard to say. Since you are not vacuuming (not sure I understand why...you should be able to vacuum withou introducing new water) I would say brush frequently and make sure you stay on top of your FC level. Clean/backwash your filter as needed.

Keep the faith and we'll all have our fingers crossed for Wednesday.

My vacuum hooks to the water hose, to give it the current, then the dirt collects into a knee high. Since the hose is in the pool attached to the vacuum it puts water in the pool. I am wanting to buy an automatic cleaner before next summer but first want to research them to get the best one. I can use the vacuum it just adds water. If it won't affect my cya & ph levels that much I will do it. My ph when I started was right at the border line so if my ph drops will it affect my slamming?

Well, it sounds like you have something closer to a leaf catcher than a vacuum and I can't imagine that being very effective to collect dirt/dead algae.

The vast majority of pools have a suction vacuum that connects to the skimmer intake. That way the dirt is sucked into and captured by your filter.

If you already have a pole, you can get one of those for less than fifty bucks.

My pool is not clearer than I thought it would be after 3 days of slamming. I am testing and brushing several times a day. Could I be facing something else or do I need to keep doing what I'm doing. My FC has been high 20's low 30's since I began, which I know is higher than needed for my CYA level but I thought it was better to be over than to let it go under. I know my pool did not get this way in 3 days so please don't come back with some clever comment. I just don't want to keep doing this without some type of results. I am out of the 0078 regent (the one that turns CL test to clear) I ordered more Thursday but I guess I ordered after the truck left and it won't be here til Monday. Just curious on what anyone thinks. I am so done with messing with this pool. Hubby is mad because all the money spent and still no swimming, kidss are mad because they can't swim. And have only swam maybe 5 times this summer. I start school Wednesday and I won't have time to baby this pool. No way will I allow 6000 gallons of water sidetrack me from getting my degree which is costing me more than the average foreclosed home. I'm gonna go have a cigarette probably open a beer and hope someone has tips or good news when I get back.

I am so done with messing with this pool.
That can be an issue if you let it.

There is no alternative. You have organics in your pool and you must kill them and filter them out. That process can take longer than many expect....often having to do with the capacity of your filtration but also having to do with your determination.

My biggest concern was that is was something else that slamming won't take care of. Which I know slamming can take care of a lot of problems as long as chemicals are within range. I'll keep at it, just had one of those intense aaagghhh moments earlier, lol. I have been washing out my filter instead of replacing. A lot of gunk comes off with a spray with the house. The stuff that comes off is a thick light blue substance. What is that?

Yes John after reading up more on it I am seeing it is a leaf catcher more than an actual vaccum. I do have a pole it is 28-24 ft long so it works out nice for brushing. I seen someone on Craigslist selling a Polaris 65. Would this work for my pool? Next year we are getting a bigger pool. Probably going to get one of those deals where they level and install. I really want an IG because to me swimming is when you can't reach. A builder in TN (not far I live on the GA/TN line) does IG at great prices and their advertising says it is BBB certified/approved something like that.
Anyways, back to my pool. Would the Polaris 65 be good? And good news everyone- yesterday evening the pool was finally looking the clearest it has been!. A lot of gunk is at the bottom which is I'm assuming dead algae. My new regent will be here tomorrow so maybe tomorrow night I'll do my first OCLT. I was wanting to vacuum today but as of right now it is raining. (Still keeping my shock lvl up even in rain). However I'm so excited thinking I may be coming to an end! I appreciate you guys so much!
P.S why doesn't the pool calc allow 8.25% bleach? I only see 6 and 10. I :cheers:

I have an intex pool and I use a triangle vacuum head I got at Lowes with a hose and pole from walmart. They sell 2 sizes of hose and I got the larger one. (sorry no measurements) I just take the piece off where my skimmer attaches (I have the over the wall skimmer which attaches with a hose to an adapter on the intake) I just take that piece off so I have a hole in the side of the pool and stick the vacuum hose in there. The suction holds it in and it works great and I've never had any problems with it.

Now if I can just get rid of that gunk that keeps settling on the bottom of the pool I'd be a happy happy girl!

So your vacuum doesn't get the gunk? I really want one that travels around bottom and walls of pool, but don't want to purchase just anything. I actually have a lot of gunk right now due to the slamming killing off algae. I finally used my cheapo dirt collector that hooks up to my hose but it added an inch of water and I still didn't get it all. I didn't want to throw off my water/chemical balance. Thanks for responding!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.