Aqua Pure 1400 Chlorine Generator w/Zodiac ePump

May 29, 2011
About a year ago, after numerous problems with my three-year-old Aqua Pure 1400 chlorine generator, mostly related to the tri-sensor, the control unit and sensor were replaced under warranty by a local pool company. I was pleased that Jandy/Zodiac stood behind their products. Shortly thereafter, I had a variable speed pump (Zodiac ePump) installed by the same company.

With my old Jandy single-speed pump, the chlorinator would shut off when the pump stopped, and start up when the pump started. When I began getting alarms, the pool company told me that there is no way to wire the chlorinator to turn on and off with the new pump, in that there is not a pump relay in the cabinet - it is located in the panel on the actual pump. The Zodiac ePump interface (also new) in the control cabinet merely sends a signal to the pump relay located at the pump itself, telling it to turn on or off, and at what speed to operate. As a result, during the hours that the ePump is off, the chlorine generator remains powered up. Eventually the generator goes into an alarm state, with the audible signal, "Service" indicator on, and numerous service codes flashing. Also, with the generator always in the "on" position, the unit cannot go through the self-calibration or internal testing that is completed each time power is turned on.

In all fairness, I was told I could put the chlorine generator on a separate timer and coordinate it with my pool pump run times. This doesn’t seem like a good solution for a couple of reasons; the timers would have to be monitored to maintain synchronization, and; If I wanted to manually run the pump via my remote control, either it wouldn’t chlorinate or I would have to go and manually start the chlorinator.

Does anyone know if there is a fix or a kit to correct the situation so that the chlorine generator turns on and off with the ePump?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Bruce in Arizona

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.