Water level question for a newbie

tcasto

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 25, 2013
Bucks County PA
Hi
I was wondering if it is possible for the water level to be too high? I have been finding next to nothing in the skimmer bucket (which is nice :-D ) but I am beginning to think the skimmer is not that efficient because the water level is really high - it is over the top of the skimmer rectangular opening. It has been like this for the past couple of weeks. It may be my imagination but it seems like I have to manually skim the pool alot more often and more debris is ending up on the floor of the pool - so I am running the vacuum more often.
So should I try to lower the level or just wait until it eventually evaporates? Rain is in forecast for today and tomorrow.
And forgive me if this is a stupid question - but I am new at this. I tried finding an answer on the site but did not come across a definitive answer for how high is too high.
Thanks, T

Thanks! I thought so....now another stupid question.... What is the best way to drain some water? Use garden hose as a siphon? and am I correct in assuming I should drain enough to have the water level fall half way down the skimmer opening?

My skimmer is so ineffective with the crepe myrtle blooms I get. They simply float around the pool until the sink to floor... and never suck into the skimmer body. So if I over fill, I just let the kids and sun fix it for me.

I have added a PoolSkim and all of the crepe blooms get sucked into it in 30 minutes or less after the pump comes on.

Thanks! :wave: I looked up Poolskim - I had never heard of it before. An ingenious idea that I will try to fit in the budget. Our house/pool is in a mini forest. We removed 6 trees in order to put the pool in but there are PLENTY left - an huge ones!
Now that I am no longer supporting the pool store, I think I can convince hubby that I need this handy gadget! :goodjob:

One thing... it does require that you have return fittings you can access the interior threads of the fitting or a "standard" exterior thread eyeball. I don't know how "universal" these are but it caused me some minor headaches. I like the interior thread adapter better. Also, since I have one return, all the water goes thru the PS and this puts a higher pressure on my pump and filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.