Big dogs removing lots of water

Jul 30, 2013
Hi,
We bought our house with this pool in February (see sig).
Got a Taylor kit last week, read and reread tons of stuff here already and are now finishing up the shocking process, as we were fighting algae over the last few weeks. Now water is nice and clear, will do overnight test tonight to make sure all is good.

I want to have a plan of action in place, to stay on top of things moving forward. I plan on tryng to hold the CYA at around 75 with FC at 6. (It WAS at 30 CYA/4 Ppm, which in our situation seems like wasn't near good enough). The problem I foresee is our 2 Goldens, who are in the pool almost every day, and bring a ton of water out with them. I think this would mean I may have to add small amounts of stabilizer on a regular (weekly? ??) basis, or do more frequent testing than dog- free pools, but wanted some ideas and guidance.
Thanks!

Given the accuracy resolution of the CYA test I suspect weekly would be far too often to try to adjust CYA if you do have significant water removal by the dogs. Also it may not be as much as you think, I know with my dog he likes to shake off on the steps so much of the water ends up back in the pool (along with dog hair, etc.)

Ike

My chocolate labs like the pool, and I do have a water replacement issue, due to the nature of my pool and deck. They shake off on the deck, but most of the water ends up under it.

Not a big issue, really, I just test CYA once a month and use http://www.poolcalculator.com to know how much to bring it back to my target of 40.

Sweep daily, and vacuum once a week, and clean filters weekly.

We have a mud yard, thanks to the same active dogs. Can't keep grass growing where they like to play.

One way to judge is how much refill water you use. If your pool averages 48" in depth and you refill 2" each week, you CYA will decrease by around 4%.

A solution would be chihuahua's :shock: :shock: :shock:

Thanks for the replies! Yes, my dogs bring the water out, and I can see gallons of it draining off into the grass, definitely not back into the pool. The 4% reduction formula is very helpful, thanks. So if I'm aiming or start at 75 CYA, every time I refill (at least 1x week, about 2 inches) I'm probably going to lose around 3 ppm each time if I calculated correctly. sSo probably every couple of weeks will need to tweak up the CYA to get back to target level.
And no, no chihuahuas for me, thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.