cynakily

Aug 3, 2012
Do not Hi-jack another's thread Please start a new one when you have questions.

When attempting to vacuum, the hose end doesn't fit snug into the skimmer. We don't have a skimmer attachment so my husband has me turn on the pump, while he places the hose end into the skimmer and the suction seems to pull the hose in snugly. Is it okay to have the pump on while attaching the hose into the skimmer? Also, the skimmer has two holes; one is obviously pulling in the debris but the other doesn't seem to do anything but fill with dirt? Is this normal or should that hole be clean? And what is the purpose of that second hole. We were told to vacuum to waste as we get a lot of sand and debris since we haven't added any deck covering yet. Thanks in advance for any help :)

30k gal. in-ground, L-shaped pool with sand filter.

cynakalily said:
When attempting to vacuum, the hose end doesn't fit snug into the skimmer. We don't have a skimmer attachment so my husband has me turn on the pump, while he places the hose end into the skimmer and the suction seems to pull the hose in snugly. Is it okay to have the pump on while attaching the hose into the skimmer?
That's what I do. Be sure to fill the hose with water first. Some people hold it in front of a return, but I just set the vacuum head in the pooll then feed the hose in slowly, holding it vertically so all the air gets pushed out.

Also, the skimmer has two holes; one is obviously pulling in the debris but the other doesn't seem to do anything but fill with dirt? Is this normal or should that hole be clean? And what is the purpose of that second hole. We were told to vacuum to waste as we get a lot of sand and debris since we haven't added any deck covering yet. Thanks in advance for any help :)

30k gal. in-ground, L-shaped pool with sand filter.
The second hole may or may not connect to your main drain at the bottom of the pool. If it does, and you don't have a diverter, the main drain won't work. Try sticking the garden hose in that dirt-filled port and see if stuff starts blowing out through the main drain. It will be easier to see if you do it with the pump off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.