Getting radiant heat from a steel chimney

May 30, 2013
i have an intex above ground 15 by 48 inch pool.. the thing is i live in the very north so heat is an issue. i have set up diy solar panels made from a garden hose 400ft long they work like a charm...1/6 hp pump used to keep it flowing... right now i have sump pump hose wrapped around my chimney (we dont use the wood stove )so i would like to collect the radiant heat. it is wrapped to a height of ten feet... but i cant for the life of me get the pool pump to pump that high.... do i need a smaller hose a bigger pool pump... surely there is a way id appreciate anyh help.... before long i will be in minus 35 temperatres cel ius. so if i can extend my pool time by even a couple of weeks id be happy

You will get a LOT of heat off of a chimney, enough that you will want to watch the hose very carefully if it isn't copper. You will most likely need a stronger pump. I have seen it done without a pump because as the water turns to steam it creates a vacuum as it escapes, but the water it draws out is just below boiling, so probably not a good idea for pools.

I may have misread that though, are you talking using the stove to heat the water, or just using the sun's warmth absorbed by the chimney?

The sump pump hose is way too big for what your trying to do. You need a 1/2" to 5/8" diameter hose and then your pump should be able to do that. Your trying to push a huge volume of water up 10', using the small hose will decrease that dramatically and allow the waer to actually collect the heat as well. However, I would worry that the hose indeed would melt if its not high temp hose or copper.

well it works perfect....wrapped 11/2 inch sump pump hose around and around the chimney attached garden hose fittings and hooked it to a hose splitter that accommodates 4 hoses....also have 300 feet of garden hose turned into a solar panel....and 100 of feet swagged over the fence.. each hose is hooked to the splitter and is powered by one sump pump 1/6 hp...i can get well over 104 degrees celius out of each hose. the sump pump electrical cord is hooked to a 20 dollar timer from crappy tire.. the pump turns on every 15 mi.utes and shuts off for 15 allowing the hose to heat up...

well i can probably swim till the first week in sept... maybe even mid sept... the thing is though... we get an early spribg so mid may i can be back in.... i swim tethered so it can be a bit cool i just have to swim hard to get warmed up.... and to teher i wrapp a bungee around my waist then clip a 42 inch bungee to the ladder and hook it to the one on my waste..then i swim visualizing that i am towing the pool around the neighborhood lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.